Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2014/08/09 19:29:36 UTC

HELP - unable to start systemvms on KVM after upgrade to 4.4 with java 1.7 installed

Hello guys,

I've done an upgrade to ACS 4.4 from version 4.2.1 following the release notes and upgrade guide. I've also read several threads regarding issues with the systemvm template. I've downloaded the template from http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/4.4/systemvm64template-4.4.0-6-kvm.qcow2.bz2

I've also upgraded java to version 1.7 on host servers as well as the acs management server.

Following the guide, I've executed the script that restarts all system vms with the following output:

Stopping and starting 1 secondary storage vm(s)...

Done stopping and starting secondary storage vm(s)

Stopping and starting 1 console proxy vm(s)...

ERROR: Failed to start console proxy vm with id 847

Done stopping and starting console proxy vm(s) .

Stopping and starting 15 running routing vm(s)...

ERROR: Failed to restart domainRouter with id 864

ERROR: Failed to restart domainRouter with id 852

I've noticed and all of my system vms are Stopped and ACS is unable to start SSVM / CPVM and any of the virtual routers.

Looking into the issue i've noticed that the host servers have the following in agent.log file:

2014-08-09 18:00:12,093 ERROR [kvm.storage.LibvirtStorageAdaptor] (agentRequest-Handler-4:null) Failed to perform a RBD action on the Ceph cluster, the error was: Failed to clone image 7ec0a208-6593-420c-9437-79279a5e3f03@cloudstack-base-snap to 566b003a-de59-419a-a1f6-7cf77cc95378

The management server log shows this error:

2014-08-09 18:12:32,524 WARN [o.a.c.s.SecondaryStorageManagerImpl] (secstorage-1:ctx-7bb24cc7) Exception while trying to start secondary storage vm

java.lang.RuntimeException: Job failed due to exception Resource [Host:7] is unreachable: Host 7: Unable to start instance due to Unable to get answer that is of class com.cloud.agent.api.StartAnswer

at com.cloud.vm.VmWorkJobDispatcher.runJob(VmWorkJobDispatcher.java:114)

at org.apache.cloudstack.framework.jobs.impl.AsyncJobManagerImpl$5.runInContext(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:503)

at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable$1.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:49)

at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext$1.call(DefaultManagedContext.java:56)

at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.callWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:103)

at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.runWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:53)

at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:46)

at org.apache.cloudstack.framework.jobs.impl.AsyncJobManagerImpl$5.run(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:460)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

2014-08-09 18:12:32,525 INFO [o.a.c.s.SecondaryStorageManagerImpl] (secstorage-1:ctx-7bb24cc7) Unable to start secondary storage vm for standby capacity, secStorageVm vm Id : 940, will recycle it and start a new one

This error keeps cycling every minute or so.

Could someone please help me with sorting out the system vms.

Many thanks

Andrei

Re: HELP - unable to start systemvms on KVM after upgrade to 4.4 with java 1.7 installed

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
yes

--
Daan

Re: HELP - unable to start systemvms on KVM after upgrade to 4.4 with java 1.7 installed

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
Daan,

Thanks for your reply. Would you happen to know the URL to download these templates? I did try the latest templates from: http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/4.4/systemvm64template-4.4.0-6-kvm.qcow2.bz2, but they are producing 6893 bug ((

Posted by "Mitch.Fiorentini" <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erik: But, I'm running Ubuntu. Can I just remove CS and re-install
4.3?

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
You may give these rpms a try:

Posted by "Mitch.Fiorentini" <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
That's 6893, fixed in 4.4.1.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like a genuine kvm-plugin bug. Have a look if you recognise
it in jira or add a ticket. I can't really tell whether it is code or
configuration.

--
Daan

Re: HELP - unable to start systemvms on KVM after upgrade to 4.4 with java 1.7 installed

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Andrei,