Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lisa Soto <ls...@bnl.gov> on 2004/11/13 00:41:38 UTC

CGI Servlet environmental variables

Hi,

I've read through the documentation, and searched the archives and can't
find a solution to my problem.

We have apache2 with tomcat 4.1.27. When I was using mod_jk, we could
uses aliases under apache with no problems, even with the ROOT of tomcat
mounted on the / of apache.

With JK2, this is not the case, so we're moving content into the tomcat
containers.

The hardest problem is the cgi-bin. I got the CGI Servlet working after
some work, and the scripts execute. But I need for Tomcat to pass a
variable for "DOCUMENT_ROOT" to the perl scripts in the cgi-bin that use
it. Dumping the variables, I can see that it's not doing this.

Is there some way to make this variable available to the perl scripts,
even if I have to set it manually in the environment?

This spans several scripts, so we'd want to set it globally for the
server.

Thanks,
Lisa
--
Lisa Soto
lsoto@bnl.gov

RE: CGI Servlet environmental variables

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
A couple of options:

1. Any query parameter or POSTed parameter should be passed to the CGI script on
the command line in the form perl arg1=value1 arg2=value2 etc
2. The latest CGI script from CVS (the one in 4.1.31 contains a JDK 1.4
dependency) supports passing enviroment parameters to the CGI script.