Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2014/04/28 05:02:37 UTC

[VOTE] migration to git

Hi,

Let's vote about migrating to git :

-  Ant

- Ivy

- easyant

- Ivyde

- the antlibs

I am not including the sandbox in the thread intentionally.

The web sites will remain in svn in any event because svnpubsub is the only supported mechanism to maintain web sites AFAIK.

[] Yes
[] No

Let me start with my +1

Antoine

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
In fact I have to correct this. I just contacted infra via freenode and I was told that
they have their own migration tools and that they do not need subgit.

There will certainly be other pre or post migration tasks :-)

Antoine

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Charles,

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net>.
+1 for Ant and Ivy, +0 elsewhere.

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 27, 2014 10:03 PM, "Antoine Levy Lambert" <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's vote about migrating to git :
>
> -  Ant
>
> - Ivy
>
> - easyant
>
> - Ivyde
>
> - the antlibs
>
> I am not including the sandbox in the thread intentionally.
>
> The web sites will remain in svn in any event because svnpubsub is the
only supported mechanism to maintain web sites AFAIK.

> [] Yes
> [] No

+0 for all

Matt

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-04-28, Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:

> Let's vote about migrating to git :

> -  Ant

> - the antlibs

+1

> - Ivy

> - easyant

> - Ivyde

+0 - I don't work on these

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.

> Let's vote about migrating to git :
>
> -  Ant
>
> - Ivy
>
> - easyant
>
> - Ivyde
>
> - the antlibs
>
> I am not including the sandbox in the thread intentionally.
>
> The web sites will remain in svn in any event because svnpubsub is the
> only supported mechanism to maintain web sites AFAIK.
>
> [] Yes
> [] No

+1 on all :)

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant

migration to git and sandbox

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-04-28, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> Le 28 avr. 2014 à 07:29, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de> a écrit :

>> Why not having one sandbox repo? New projects could be added there as
>> one directory, if creating a gitmodule would enforce infra to act.

> What would be the process of a sandbox project becoming "mainstream"
> with a one for all ? In the "upgrade", we would want a standalone repo
> for it. Cloning the sandbox would mean having the full history of
> every other sandbox project in there. Would that work well ?

I'd rather keep the sandboxes in svn and only migrate to git once they
are promoted.  We haven't promoted any sandbox in years, so we are
likely saving work by not migrating the repo at all :-)

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 28 avr. 2014 à 07:29, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de> a écrit :

>> Let's vote about migrating to git :
>> -  Ant
>
> +1
>
>> - Ivy
>
> +0, because I dont work on that codebase and therefore dont want to
> influence these committers.
>
>> - easyant
>
> +0, same as for Ivy
>

>> - Ivyde
>
> +0, dito
>

>> - the antlibs
>
> +1
>

>> I am not including the sandbox in the thread intentionally.
>
> Why not having one sandbox repo? New projects could be added there as one
> directory, if creating a gitmodule would enforce infra to act.

What would be the process of a sandbox project becoming "mainstream" with a one for all ? In the "upgrade", we would want a standalone repo for it. Cloning the sandbox would mean having the full history of every other sandbox project in there. Would that work well ?

Nicolas

Re: migration to git and web site publication

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
You can use git submodules similarly. I just don't think it stays
automatically up to date with the HEAD of a branch. If you want that, I
believe you need to use a 3rd party plugin.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: migration to git and web site publication

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>
wrote:
>>> [...] git/gitpubsub is working?
>>
>>  Apache Infra does not support gitpubsub for [...] web site.
>
>> git is not the tool of choice to deal with large files such as the ones
on dist.apache.org.
>> That might be part of the reason why infra supports only svn for the web
site.

> Just for info, what makes you say that? Why would git be worse than
> SVN for large files?
>
> Is that because all clones must "copy" all versions (compressed deltas
> I guess) of those large files? --DD

Various people indicate that git doesn't work well with large binary files:
https://www.google.com/#q=git+large+binary+files

--
Johan

Re: migration to git and web site publication

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
It's good to use a separate git repository (or svn repository or whatever
works best for you) for storing large assets. You can use it as a git
submodule to pull in a specific revision ID (so it's somewhat similar to
svn:external, except you have to update it yourself and commit changes to
the pointer in the parent repository). That way it only takes up a tiny
text file in the main git repo.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: migration to git and web site publication

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Dominique,

On Apr 29, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> git is not the tool of choice to deal with large files such as the ones on dist.apache.org.
>> That might be part of the reason why infra supports only svn for the web site.
>
> Just for info, what makes you say that? Why would git be worse than
> SVN for large files?
>
> Is that because all clones must "copy" all versions (compressed deltas
> I guess) of those large files? —D

Below see some references found in google, the first one says that each version of a large file is stored
(or maybe each version with a different md5).

So cloning a plain vanilla git repository containing several versions of a large file would fill up one’s disk.

That makes me think that the Ant git module will be a bit fat already from all the versions of xercesImpl and of jUnit that we have checked in over the years.

The stack overflow article mentions add-ons to git to manage large files.

Antoine

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/09/05/git-off-my-lawn-large-and-unmergable-assets/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/540535/managing-large-binary-files-with-git
https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-large-files

Re: migration to git and web site publication

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Jan,

On Apr 28, 2014, at 1:29 AM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de> wrote:

>> The web sites will remain in svn in any event because svnpubsub is the
>> only supported mechanism to maintain web sites AFAIK.
>
> I havent looked at the current svnpubsub, but there is also one with that
> name for git
> https://www.apache.org/dev/gitpubsub.html
>
> I would appreciate to have the same scm.
> Could we start a new git repo for tests and vote later after the
> git/gitpubsub is working?

 Apache Infra does not support gitpubsub for the purpose of maintaining an Apache web site.
I asked confirmation of that on the #asfinfra
All Apache web sites are in svn and use svnpubsub.
git is not the tool of choice to deal with large files such as the ones on dist.apache.org.
That might be part of the reason why infra supports only svn for the web site.

> Jan

Antoine

AW: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
> Let's vote about migrating to git :
> -  Ant

+1

> - Ivy

+0, because I dont work on that codebase and therefore dont want to
influence these committers.

> - easyant

+0, same as for Ivy

> - Ivyde

+0, dito

> - the antlibs

+1

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Per Arnold Blaasmo <pe...@atmel.com>.
On 28. april 2014 05:02, Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's vote about migrating to git :
>
> -  Ant
>
> - Ivy
>
> - easyant
>
> - Ivyde
>
> - the antlibs
>

> [] Yes
> [] No

+1 on all.

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Michael Clarke <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me for Ant, +0 for the other associated projects.

I'm happy to help with any migration or post migration cleanup of
docs/processes, but am only properly familiar with the Ant core so may
not be much help with the likes of Ivy but can give it a shot if
needed.

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 28 April 2014 13:02, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Let's vote about migrating to git :

+0 on all. --DD

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org>.
+1

Conor

Re: [VOTE] migration to git

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Probably because I don't know much about git, but I don't see the real advantage of the switch from SVN to git.
In addition, I don't have the time to help adapting the Ivy release process/scripts.
But I don't want to stand in the way if everyone thinks this should be done.

So, my vote is:
for Ivy: -0
for the rest: +0

Maarten