Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> on 2001/09/10 23:44:49 UTC

Is there a way to override where Catalina looks for the conf and webapps directories?

If I could set a command-line options or (better yet) an environment
variable to specify the location of the conf and webapp directories, it
would make upgrading to newer versions of Tomcat much easier.

That way, I could have all of my webapps and my configuration files in one
place, and I could add new versions of tomcat without worrying about
modifying a web app or conf file.

Is there a good way to do this? Thanks,

Roderick Mann               rmann @ latencyzero.com.sansspam

Re: Is there a way to override where Catalina looks for the conf and webapps directories?

Posted by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com>.
Ah! I just noticed the CATALINA_BASE stuff in rc1. That seems to be most of
what I need/want.

Now, to amend what I asked for earlier, I'd like to add conf and common to
the CATALINA_BASE dirs, so that classes I add to my deployment can be
protected from simple updates to Tomcat.

I suspect this can't be done exactly like that (I think there will need to
be a CATALINA_CONF environment variable), and I think classes found in the
common dir for each CATALINA_BASE will have to apply to just that
CATALINA_BASE, not all CATALINA_BASEs.

Roderick Mann               rmann @ latencyzero.com.sansspam