Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/04/27 06:12:04 UTC

[VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

The first Action 1 release since the recent reorganization, we have a
Struts Action Framework 1.3.2 build to evaluate for release quality.
The release plan is available on the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsActionRelease132
<http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ShaleRelease102>

the Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 test build has been completed and
deployed to

 http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/action/v1.3.2
<http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/shale/v1.0.2/>

In my testing, I found the following issues:
 1. Struts faces example webapps both don't work
 2. Taglib integration tests don't work

Otherwise, all the example applications worked correctly.

Once you have had a chance to review this test build, please respond
with a vote on its quality:

[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] General Availability (GA)

We welcome votes from all community members, however, only the votes
of Struts PMC members are binding.

My vote is for Beta quality, as there are no unreleased dependencies,
all the key example apps work correctly, and I've personally had the
1.3.x code in production for over six months without any problems.  Only
Beta because the docs need work and there are a few outstanding bugs in
JIRA that should be addressed in the next release.

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
See? The projects are working together already! :)

Don

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
+1 Beta -- Me too!

--
James Mitchell

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the delay.  I finally got 1.3.2 into test today.

+1 Beta

--
Wendy

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
> On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Strike that. JIRA search works fine.
>
> Before or after I changed the summary text on your issue? :)

After. Aha! I noticed that something was different ;-)

Then maybe the search did not work properly indeed? I don't know, I
guess I was tired and entered something incorrectly.

> There's a new snapshot available if you want to get a head start on
> issues for 1.3.3 this weekend:
>    http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/nightly/struts-action/

Ok, thanks!

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Strike that. JIRA search works fine.

Before or after I changed the summary text on your issue? :)

There's a new snapshot available if you want to get a head start on
issues for 1.3.3 this weekend:
   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/nightly/struts-action/

(Ignore the struts-faces examples, I have one of them fixed here but
it's not committed yet.)

--
Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/06, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > 2. The struts-cookbook-1.3.2 application allows to take a look at the
> > > Java source code of examples. The links refer to
> > > source.jsp?src=/WEB-INF/src/java/examples/simple/xxx.java, while the
> > > actual source code is located under /WEB-INF/src/examples/ , no "java"
> > > subdirectory.
> >
> > I see you've found JIRA already, but it's here: http://issues.apache.org/struts
> >
> > Where were you looking, so we can add/fix the links to JIRA for 1.3.3?
>
> http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-2855

My issue is titled: "struts-cookbook-1.3.2: invalid path to source
Java files in samples". Tried to search for "cookbook" in summary and
description, nothing found. Tried to search for
"struts-cookbook-1.3.2", found my issue. The "Text Search" section
does not contain a checkbox to search for either entire word or for
any substring, but apparently it looks for entire words.

Michael.

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The struts-cookbook-1.3.2 application allows to take a look at the
> Java source code of examples. The links refer to
> source.jsp?src=/WEB-INF/src/java/examples/simple/xxx.java, while the
> actual source code is located under /WEB-INF/src/examples/ , no "java"
> subdirectory.

I see you've found JIRA already, but it's here: http://issues.apache.org/struts

Where were you looking, so we can add/fix the links to JIRA for 1.3.3?

In addition to fixing the problem you reported, that example app needs
to be repackaged.  It  looks strange in the (as yet unpublished)
aggregated Javadoc to have an 'examples' package above all the
org.apache.struts code.

Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I supposed to use JIRA for SAF1 as well? Could not find
> the link to JIRA on wiki page.

Oops, should have clicked the link for outstanding bugs :-) Still, not
very clear how to get to JIRA.

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> The first Action 1 release since the recent reorganization, we have a
> Struts Action Framework 1.3.2 build to evaluate for release quality.
> The release plan is available on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsActionRelease132
>
> the Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 test build has been completed and
> deployed to
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/action/v1.3.2
>
> In my testing, I found the following issues:
>  1. Struts faces example webapps both don't work
>  2. Taglib integration tests don't work
>
> Otherwise, all the example applications worked correctly.

Just downloaded, unpacked and started:

1. I wanted to report an issue, but Bugzilla does not have 1.3.2 in
the "Version" listbox, so this will be the first issue :-)

2. The struts-cookbook-1.3.2 application allows to take a look at the
Java source code of examples. The links refer to
source.jsp?src=/WEB-INF/src/java/examples/simple/xxx.java, while the
actual source code is located under /WEB-INF/src/examples/ , no "java"
subdirectory.

This results in exception like this:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No resource
/WEB-INF/src/java/examples/simple/SimpleActionForm.java
available in this application

I would file issue (2) directly to Bugzilla, if version 1.3.2 was
available to select. Oops, actually I would not. Cannot find "Struts"
under product names when creating a new bug. Is it just me, or am I

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/28/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> I went through every open bug ticket last night, and out of them all,
> there only a handful outstanding, and none that are serious; again, why
> I think this is a beta release.
>
> Perhaps we need a better definition of quality, because to me, beta
> means there are some minor issues, but the code works, the examples
> work, and you could start using it in a development environment without
> problems.

That is exactly my definition of beta as well.

--
Martin Cooper

Don

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/28/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/28/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> > I went through every open bug ticket last night, and out of them all,
> > there only a handful outstanding, and none that are serious; again, why
> > I think this is a beta release.
>
> I added a "Struts Action 1" filter to list all the open bugs against
> SAF1, which comes up with thirty issues. I agree that not all of these
> need to be handled by the 1.3.2 release plan, but it would be help to
> itemize the open tickets, so that we know what is not being handled
> and why.
>

> > Perhaps we need a better definition of quality, because to me, beta
> > means there are some minor issues, but the code works, the examples
> > work, and you could start using it in a development environment without
> > problems.
>
> To me, a Beta means that if it works for more people, we could upgrade
> it to GA.

No, that is a release candidate. Our Test Build is always a release
candidate, in effect, because since we don't vote until after it's built,
there is always a possibility that it could become GA. (Not counting the
cases where we know up front that it's not good enough, of course.)

--
Martin Cooper

The JIRA issues aside, I could never vote this release to GA since

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> That makes sense, especially since we don't have an RC quality option.
> I wonder if we should add it, because there should be a way to indicate
> the code is pretty complete, stable, and free of major bugs, but at the
> same time, it isn't GA and is missing key ingredients like documentation
> and minor bug fixings.

Again, to me, a "Release Candidate" is a distribution that we think we
could vote onto GA without change, if wider testing does not uncover
any "showstoppers". It's a candidate for a GA release.

Sure, the binary might be "code complete" and "production ready" (or
not I haven't sorted through the thirty open issues), but that doesn't
make the distribution "ready for prime time".

Of course, the binaries in our builds are usually production ready.
Many people have been using the nightly build in production for six
months or a year. The difference between a build and release is that
we've included all the other "key ingredients" we need to turn an
entree into a meal. :)

-Ted.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> In my testing, I found the following issues:
> >>  1. Struts faces example webapps both don't work
> >>  2. Taglib integration tests don't work
> >>
> >> Otherwise, all the example applications worked correctly.
> >>
> >> Once you have had a chance to review this test build, please respond
> >> with a vote on its quality:
> >>
> >> [ ] Alpha
> >> [ ] Beta
> >> [ ] General Availability (GA)
> >>
> >> We welcome votes from all community members, however, only the votes
> >> of Struts PMC members are binding.
> >>
> >> My vote is for Beta quality, as there are no unreleased dependencies,
> >> all the key example apps work correctly, and I've personally had the
> >> 1.3.x code in production for over six months without any problems.  Only
> >> Beta because the docs need work and there are a few outstanding bugs in
> >> JIRA that should be addressed in the next release.

HTH, Ted.
** http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
> On 4/28/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There are things like references to Bugzilla.
>
> Do you remember where?

The nightly build looks to be fixed now. The references to Bugzilla
have now been replaced with references to JIRA.

> Help with the site and with the JIRA issues is appreciated, if anyone
> has extra time.

I'm in the middle of updating the Action2 wiki right now, and I won't
be much help here, I'm afraid.

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are things like references to Bugzilla.

Do you remember where?  I searched across struts-action and only found
bugzilla links on the old release notes pages.  The Struts Faces index
page had a typo and wasn't building, so the old version (which did
have a bugzilla link) was online.

> The links to the "Components", like
> Extras, need to be fleshed out, the "Core" link is useless, and we
> need some introductory text for Taglibs.

I removed the Core link, though it was the only way to get to its reports:
   http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/struts-core/maven-reports.html

Eventually I think Maven 2 will be able to aggregate all of the
reports.  Until then, we can keep a placeholder page for each report,
with links to the components, such as:
   http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/checkstyle.html

> I might have some time to work on this Monday afternoon, if no one
> beats me to it.

Help with the site and with the JIRA issues is appreciated, if anyone
has extra time.

Thanks,
Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 Quality

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:
> Should we move the ToDo items from the bottom of StrutsMavenMaintenance
> wiki page to subtasks of a JIRA ticket?

Absolutely!  We have an infrastructure component in the Action 1 project
just for these types of issues.  JIRA helps by collecting what needs to
be done, any comments on it, and who is working on it.  WebWork used it
a lot to even when the solution is being actively developed, which I
think is a great idea for those longer tasks.

Don

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 Alpha