Posted to users@maven.apache.org by snowb0y <ga...@fnarg.net> on 2011/04/17 18:55:42 UTC

Maven refusing to compile Spring project due to annotations

I'm running Eclipse and Maven on a Mac. Here's my version of Maven

$ mvn -version
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 20:16:01+0100)
Java version: 1.6.0_22
Java home: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.5.8" arch: "x86_64" Family: "mac"

What I'm trying to do is use Maven to compile my Spring project so I can
deploy the packaged war to a Tomcat. I setup my pom.xml (see below) and
asked mvn to create the package. The build failed with the following error:

Compilation failure
/path/to/WelcomeController.java:[7,1] annotations are not supported in
-source 1.3
(use -source 5 or higher to enable annotations)
@Controller

Doing mvn compile gives the same error. Google showed me that the
1.3-compiler-as-default was a known problem with Maven and I was happy to
find a fix explained here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/howto.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/howto.html

But it's still not working ): In desperation I followed these instructions:

http://pwong-tipsandtricks.blogspot.com/2009/02/install-and-test-maven-on-centos-52.html
http://pwong-tipsandtricks.blogspot.com/2009/02/install-and-test-maven-on-centos-52.html
and put a fresh maven on my Linux box. The build failed with the same error,
so it seems that my pom.xml is the culprit. But how? Here's the pom. Any
ideas welcome!

  4.0.0
  net.fnarg.twotrack
  twotrack-webapp
  war
  1.0-SNAPSHOT
  Twotrack Webapp
  http://maven.apache.org

    3.0.5.RELEASE
    twotrack
    apache-tomcat-twotrack
    twotrack
    twotrack

      com.springsource.repository.bundles.release
      SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository - SpringSource Bundle
            Releases
      http://repository.springsource.com/maven/bundles/milestone

      com.springsource.repository.bundles.external
      SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository - External Bundle
            Releases
      http://repository.springsource.com/maven/bundles/external

      javax.servlet
      jstl
      1.2

      javax.el
      el-api
      1.0
      provided

      org.apache.taglibs
      com.springsource.org.apache.taglibs.standard
      1.1.2

      javax.servlet
      servlet-api
      2.5
      provided

      org.springframework
       spring-context
       ${spring.version}

      org.springframework
      spring-web
      ${spring.version}

      org.springframework
      spring-webmvc
      ${spring.version}

      junit
      junit
      3.8.1
      test

        org.apache.maven.plugins
        maven-eclipse-plugin

          1.6
          1.6

    twotrack

        src/main/resources
        true

        src/main/webapp
        true

Re: Maven refusing to compile Spring project due to annotations

Posted by snowb0y <ga...@fnarg.net>.
Hi Manuel,

Well seen! Worked straight away. Thanks for your post.

snowb0y

Re: Maven refusing to compile Spring project due to annotations

Posted by Manuel Doninger <ma...@doninger.net>.
>        org.apache.maven.plugins
>        maven-eclipse-plugin
>
>          1.6
>          1.6

Well, you should use the maven-compiler-plugin as described in
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/howto.html, not
the maven-eclipse-plugin.

Manuel

RE: Maven refusing to compile Spring project due to annotations

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
the solution is accomplished by following the instructions in the displayed error message
export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
<configuration>
 <source>1.6</source>
 <target>1.6</target>
</configuration>

Martin Gainty

Posted by snowb0y <ga...@fnarg.net>.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reply. It's the same error with these 3 variations.

        <configuration>
          <wtpversion>1.5</wtpversion>
        </configuration>

        <configuration>
          <source>1.5</source>
          <target>1.5</target>
        </configuration>

        <configuration>
          <source>1.6</source>
          <target>1.6</target>
        </configuration>

The pom used to have a parent from a repo at my place of work. My goal is to
get the build working without the parent as this isn't a work project. But
then the compile error kicked in ..

Re: Maven refusing to compile Spring project due to annotations

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
What kind of error do you have once you set the source and target parameter
of the maven compiler plugin to 1.5 ?

Jeff

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup