Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/05 05:46:05 UTC

Any plans to make PojoSR part of Apache Felix

Hi,

<<Apologies for cross posting but as the subject is of common interest
to both group sending it to both groups>>

In Apache Jackrabbit Oak [1] we have inbuilt support for OSGi based
deployments. To reuse the logic for non OSGi env I was investigating
[2] PojoSR [3] and it looks pretty useful and most of the stuff works
out of the box without requiring any change.

Wanted to check if there were any thoughts on moving this project to
Apache Felix

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/
[2] http://jackrabbit-oak.markmail.org/thread/7zpux64mj6vecwzf
[3] https://code.google.com/p/pojosr/

Re: Any plans to make PojoSR part of Apache Felix

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I’m using PojoSR regularly (especially to simplify OSGi testing). I would be also in favor on donating pojoSR to Felix. But Karl have to take the decision.

Clement

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
I've started the IP clearance process, so the form should appear in
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html soon.
Fwiw, I won't be available next week, so I'll resume the work after that.

Guillaume

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
I also think that moving PojoSR to Felix would be a great idea!

Cheers,

David

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
Great!

All this means I'm not crazy! ;)

Sincerely,
- Ray

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Marcel Offermans <
marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:

> On 06 Mar 2014, at 14:58 , David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It can be quite useful for people who like to use OSGi Services or
> > migrate to OSGi for other reasons, but don't want to handle the
> > modularity on the classloader level just yet.
>
> Other applications are to deploy OSGi bundles to environments that have no
> classloaders, or even no threads, such as Google AppEngine. We’ve also used
> it in the past to deploy to Android (which does have both, but you can run
> into some differences/restrictions of the Dalvik JVM that can be avoided
> this way).
>
> Greetings, Marcel

 (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect
*Liferay, Inc.* <http://www.liferay.com> (@Liferay)

Re: Any plans to make PojoSR part of Apache Felix

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ray,

PojoSR is not services injection framework, it's a container much like
an OSGi Framework with the classloading bits left out ;) You should be
able to run DS/Blueprint on top of it, but the pure modularity on the
classloading level is gone.

It can be quite useful for people who like to use OSGi Services or
migrate to OSGi for other reasons, but don't want to handle the
modularity on the classloader level just yet.

Well, that's my understanding anyway ;)

Cheers,

David

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.
Great name!!!

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Marcel Offermans <
marcel.offermans@luminis.eu> wrote:

> On 05 Mar 2014, at 14:55 pm, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> wrote:

> >  * we need a formal agreement from the contributors (karlpauls and
> AngelovdS
> > from the pojosr commit log) to give copyright to the ASF (a CLA would do
> it
> > afaik)
>
> For the record, Angelo van der Sijpt is also an Apache committer (in the
> ACE project) so both contributors already have an ICLA on file.

exactly.

regards,

Karl

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.eu>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> wrote:

I'm willing to help too if needed.    I don't think we can use a software
> grant, unless the code is owned by an actual entity (is that the case ?).
>   * we need a formal agreement from the contributors (karlpauls and
> AngelovdS
> from the pojosr commit log) to give copyright to the ASF (a CLA would do it
> afaik)

The code is not owned by an entity. I am a felix commiter and have a iCLA
on file so we should be good there. I'm sure there is no problem in getting
Angelo to agree (and he has an CLA already) - however, technically, the
pojosr code was all done by me so we don't really need his approval (Angelo
provided and worked on some of the examples which we don't really need).

>   * start a vote to accept the donation

If all we need is me having an CLA and bringing in the code we can start
that asap I guess.

>   * once we have that and a formal agreement from legal, we can move the
> code as is and do any kind of package renaming or release from inside Felix

Yup. I was assuming we do it once the code is in.

>  > Btw., if so, we should maybe rename it - I'm pretty sure nobody is
> going to
> > complain if we call it Apache Felix Connect :-).
> >

> I don't think there is a *need* to rename, but it doesn't hurt ...

Yeah. I used the name initially because it was done for a different purpose
and I never quite liked it that much so if we can agree on calling it
connect that would be great :-).

regards,

Karl

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> im more than willing to have PojoSR move to Felix - provided you (or
> somebody else) is willing to do the legwork. I guess we'll have to funnel it
> through the incubator ip clearance, rename the packages, and cut a release.
> If somebody volunteers to drive this then lets do it (and yes, I'm looking
> at you, Clement :-).

Thanks for the prompt response Karl ! The project is really useful for us.

As for the work involved I am willing to volunteer wherever possible. LGTM!!

Chetan Mehrotra

Re: Any plans to make PojoSR part of Apache Felix

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chetan,