Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2018/02/13 00:28:03 UTC

Java 7 as well as future JDK support strategy.

There is an article at InfoQ that discusses Oracle’s support strategy [1]. It contains a chart that shows the support lifetime for all Oracle releases. [2] It references a blog post from Azul discussing Oracle’s support strategy. [3] These charts are confirmed by Oracle’s roadmap. [4].  The end of public updates for Java 7 was in April 2015 and the end of premier support is July 2019. [5]

First, based on this and the decline in the interest in Java 7 and that we are now about 3 years past the last public updates I am fine with making Java 8 our minimum version along with the release of Log4j 3.0. FWIW, while SLF4J still supports Java 5, as of today Logback 1.3.0 now requires a minimum of Java 8.

After that things start to get strange. I think we will have to take advantage of the multi-release jar support more and more in the future because I don’t see how we could ever make Java 9 or 10 the minimum supported version since Oracle will effectively drop support for them 6 months after they are introduced. I would think we would have to wait until Java 8 usage declines to the levels Java 7 currently is before upgrading and at that time we would have to skip all the way to Java 11.

Whatever we decide to do I would prefer if we could publish our JVM support strategy on the web site.

Ralph

1. https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/01/JavaSupportJan18 <https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/01/JavaSupportJan18>
2. https://res.infoq.com/news/2018/01/JavaSupportJan18/en/resources/1java-se-lifecycle-5-year-timeline-1024x683-1517328730133.jpg <https://res.infoq.com/news/2018/01/JavaSupportJan18/en/resources/1java-se-lifecycle-5-year-timeline-1024x683-1517328730133.jpg>
3. https://www.azul.com/java-stable-secure-free-choose-two-three/ <https://www.azul.com/java-stable-secure-free-choose-two-three/>
4. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html>
5. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html#java-commercial-offerings <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html#java-commercial-offerings>

Re: Java 7 as well as future JDK support strategy.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 13 February 2018 at 18:50, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I seriously doubt that Oracle will turn down a pile of cash ...

Yeah, me neither.

> If we want to say that in the future, we plan on only supporting LTS
> releases, sure, we can say that now, but what's the point? We are so far
> from that it seems. We could say that that's what we'd like to do as
> something sensible and not leading to a trip to the loony bin. But it seems
> like future tripping since we are thinking on staying on Java 8 for a
> while.

Considering the number of times the question has been asked about when we
can upgrade to Java 8, having a general policy surrounding the support
cycle of Java itself makes a lot of sense. We could even use it with
breaking version number changes (e.g., 3.x is Java 8, 4.x is Java 11, 5.x
is Java 14, ...).

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Java 7 as well as future JDK support strategy.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Depending on how well we can support ongoing compatibility with multiple
versions, we may be able to support two LTS releases concurrently for some
time even. This also depends on how well applications support the new
multiversion jar feature.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Java 7 as well as future JDK support strategy.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 13 February 2018 at 22:26, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounds like Oracle's way of trying to get more money

This is literally the only thing they're designed to do. I don't need to
link to any of the Larry Ellison memes to get my point across here.

> from Java 6/7/8
> and also declaring Java 9/10 DOA and Java 11 as the next release to use.
> This is all awful. MR jars, Modules, and now this. What a stinking pile :-(

Those all stem from miscommunication, so we can only hope that's not the
case in the future. The version number itself is a consequence of the
discussion to create said naming scheme. There were other proposals that
didn't make it seem so confusing as a production user, but the simplest
schema won.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Java 7 as well as future JDK support strategy.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> Well, here are some things to think about.
> 1. When Oracle drops support for Java 9 next month does that mean we want
> to replace it with Java 10 in our toolchain?
>     a. Infra still includes JDK 1.4 in its list of choices so I’m sure
> they will continue to allow Java 9 to be used.
>     b. I see nothing in Java 10 that we would need to support or would
> impact Log4j users.
>     c. I know you like to make sure we are always compatible with the
> latest everything, so I don’t know why this would be any different.
> 2. How will this impact our support strategy? If someone reports a problem
> with Java 9 in April are we going to tell them to try it with Java 10? We
> have always been a bit lax (as we are with Java 7) since we know that there
> are some companies that have purchased support. I can’t imagine these same
> (ultra conservative) companies upgrading to a non-LTS release so I really
> do doubt that anyone will be using Java 9 in production come June.
>
> If Oracle decides to provide support outside of what they have publicly
> stated of course they can do that, but I doubt you or I will ever know
> about it. I suspect most open source projects will take them at their word
> and more or less ignore non-LTS releases.

This sounds like Oracle's way of trying to get more money from Java 6/7/8
and also declaring Java 9/10 DOA and Java 11 as the next release to use.
This is all awful. MR jars, Modules, and now this. What a stinking pile :-(

Gary

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Did you look at any of the links in my email?  Java 10 will be released in March. When that happens Java 9 will be unsupported for everyone. You cannot purchase support for it or get security updates. It is dead.  The same thing will happen with Java 10 in September when Java 11 is released.  So having a policy that we will only ever choose an LTS version as our minimum supported version makes sense to me.  We can even predict when we will do that if we want.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I found this update that says Oracle has extended the public support of Java 8 about 4 months past the release of Java 11. https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/02/Java8SupportJan18 <https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/02/Java8SupportJan18>