Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/08 07:29:00 UTC

Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Hi Folk,

Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer
but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby
instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu
(lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).

Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
$ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start

And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
$ ij
ij version 10.15
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC:
Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for
details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
ij>

Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file,
but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any
general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no
obvious clues.

cheers,

Re: Derby newbie - error seen creating 'seconddb' thru ij for network-server Derby

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com>.
A basic server policy (which you should customize) can be found in the
Derby Security Guide at
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/security/rsecbasicserver.html It
is also located in the bin distribution at
demo/templates/serverTemplate.policy.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Zero <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kerry <ka...@avionicengineers.com>.
1. If you don't have $DERBY_HOME set then I do believe Derby will take it's bike from whichever directory it has been started from.
2. Your Derby log confirms it's a permissions error. A *CRUDE* fix for this is:

Locate the file 'java.policy'. it's probably located in /etc/java-11-openjdk/security.
Add the following immediately above other permissions within that file:

permission java.security.AllPermission;

This however should not be a long term fix and you should investigate a more secure solution. Maybe others on this mailing list might have a more informed solution.

Kerry

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Posted by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kerry <ka...@avionicengineers.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com>.
Apologies for my clumsiness and sloppiness. The answers are indeed there in
the documentation.
https://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.14.2.0.cgi

Posted by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com>.