Posted to user@metron.apache.org by st...@orange.com on 2019/05/14 14:26:01 UTC

Very low throuput on topologies

Hello happy metron users,

I've a Metron cluster based on Hortonworks CP, and I've setup Kerberos on the top of it, as you all probably have done since we deal with security :)

It seems that everything is working fine, Kerberos, ranger,... but I'm facing an issue regarding the overall throuput.

I feed my cluster with Nifi, here is what I do:
        Test 1:

-          Send 2 lines of logs to Kafka sensor topic with Nifi

-          Use Kafka CLI consumer to read messages from sensor topic: response is immediate

-          Use kafka CLI consumer to read messages from enrichment topic: messages are coming after nearly 20 s
      Test 2:

-          Send 200 lines of logs to Kafka sensor topic with Nifi

-          Use Kafka CLI consumer to read messages from sensor topic: response is immediate

-          Use kafka CLI consumer to read messages from enrichment topic: some messages are coming immediately, but it seems they come 10 by 10 (nearly), with many seconds between each flow

It's probably related to Storm configuration, but I don't know where to go now. I've tried to change various parameters like topology.max.spout.pending (currently set to 500), but no improvement

Thanks for your help

Stéphane

Thank you.

RE: Very low throuput on topologies

Posted by st...@orange.com.
Yes, this what I’m currently playing with to find the best batch size. Thanks for pointing the link

Stéphane

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.
Also take a look at this -

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
Can you share your Metron batch size config and timeouts?

On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 11:31, <st...@orange.com> wrote:

> Hello Simon,
>

> It is what it looks like yes, but I’ve set
> topology.flush.tuple.freq.millis to 10, no change. Moreover, if I send
> let’s say 20000 lines, it will anyway take a lot of time to be fully
> processed.

simon elliston ball
@sireb

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
> [...]

>       "requestedMemOffHeap": 0,
>
>       "errorLapsedSecs": null,
>
>       "acked": 3680,
>
>       "requestedCpu": 10,
>
>       "encodedBoltId": "parserBolt",
>
>       "lastError": "",
>
>       "executed": 3680,
>
>       "capacity": "0.003",
>
>       "errorWorkerLogLink": ""
>
>     }
>

> So, my understanding is that it takes a lot of time to ack tuples, but I
> don’t know where to go now.  As said below, I’ve tried the tweaks mentioned
> here: https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/docs/Performance.md but
> no change. It looks like that we are trying to fill a bucket, and send data
> after a given timeout if the bucket is not full. But I don’t see any
> timeout that looks like 10 or 20 secondes in storm configuration.
>
> As a reminder, I’ve Kerberos enabled on my platform, but everything seems

simon elliston ball
@sireb

RE: Very low throuput on topologies

Posted by st...@orange.com.
Hello Nick,

I have 4 good physical servers with 32G of RAM each, SSD drives,… and no activity on theses servers. Actually, at the beginning of my tests, I didn’t face this kind of issue. It seems to be related to the fact that I’ve enabled Kerberos, I’m currently reverting back to no Kerberos.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.