Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by timmy_ <af...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/07 00:47:14 UTC

Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help

Hey all,

I have an xp host with a CentOS 5.3 installed with vmware.
I installed tomcat 6.0.18 and I may access my applications from localhost.

However I may not access them through http://{ipAddres}:8080/{appName}

I have port 8080 open, the address attribute on the connector tag is not set
so it should accept incoming connections from any ip address.

I have searched all day and I can't find a solution...

May anyone plz help me??? Thanks!!

Re: Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
timmy_ wrote:
> Ok I solved it....
>
> Centos security settings by default are enforcing so port 8080 was not
> available then all requests were just ignored.
Which is what a "telnet (ip_address) 8080" would have told you too, quickly.

Re: Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help

Posted by timmy_ <af...@yahoo.com>.
Ok I solved it....

Centos security settings by default are enforcing so port 8080 was not
available then all requests were just ignored. Changing this
did the job thank you all.

Posted by timmy_ <af...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by timmy_ <af...@yahoo.com>.
Hey all,

First of all sry if this was no the forum to ask...I wouldn't have
expected VMware to be the problem since I may access internet
from the virtual machine and I may also ping both ways (host-VM-Host)
However
I may not ping from any other pc...this might be the problem.

Yes I have the network connection configured as NAT and its ip is in the
format 192.168.*.*
I just want to be able to access it from my host machine or my home network.

@Caldarale, Charles R -
I see no error besides Mozilla telling me that
I am accessing through http://192.168.*.*:8080

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
timmy_ wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have an xp host with a CentOS 5.3 installed with vmware.
> I installed tomcat 6.0.18 and I may access my applications from localhost.
>
> However I may not access them through http://{ipAddres}:8080/{appName}
>
> I have port 8080 open, the address attribute on the connector tag is not set
> so it should accept incoming connections from any ip address.
>
> I have searched all day and I can't find a solution...
>
> May anyone plz help me??? Thanks!!

Is the IP of the machine w/ tomcat 192.168.xx.xx?  If so, the system
acting as the host to your guest OS's is acting as a NAT and no machine
outside the host will see your tomcat server.   You'll have to change
VMWare's config to allow guest OS's to get their own public IP.

--David

Re: Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
timmy_ wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have an xp host with a CentOS 5.3 installed with vmware.
> I installed tomcat 6.0.18 and I may access my applications from localhost.
>
> However I may not access them through http://{ipAddres}:8080/{appName}
>
> I have port 8080 open, the address attribute on the connector tag is not set
> so it should accept incoming connections from any ip address.
>
> I have searched all day and I can't find a solution...
>
> May anyone plz help me??? Thanks!!

Sure, but you may have to ask the VMWare guys first.
Considering the information you have provided so far (not much), I would
guess that the problem may be that you have not told VMWare to act as a
gateway between the xp machine and the virtual machine inside VMWare.
Try a ping to (ipAddress) from another machine for a start.
If that works, then try (still from another machine), a "telnet
(ipaddress) 8080", and see if at least you get a connection.

RE: Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: timmy_ [mailto:afdiaz@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Cannot access Tomcat from Host Machine PLZ Help
>
> However I may not access them through http://{ipAddres}:8080/{appName}

What exact error message are you seeing?

What IP address are you using in your URL?

What IP addresses do you have configured for your TCP/IP stack?

 - Chuck