Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/26 16:18:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Import CouchDB Helm Chart

Hi all,

CouchDB has a mature Helm chart at
https://github.com/helm/charts/tree/master/stable/couchdb to facilitate
deploying CouchDB clusters to Kubernetes. Historically, Helm charts have
been curated by the Helm team alongside a list of chart-specific
maintainers (@kocolosk in this case).

The Helm team have indicated that the current monolithic repository
approach is unsustainable for them and have started asking chart owners to
move to self-hosted repositories (most commonly GitHub pages -
https://github.com/helm/hub/blob/master/docs/github.md). These are then
aggregated at http://hub.helm.sh.

What do people think about moving the CouchDB chart from the helm/charts
Git repository into an Apache-owned repository (e.g.
github.com/apache/couchdb-helm) to complement the existing
apache/couchdb-docker repository?

If there's appetite for this I can move to a vote.

Thanks!

Will

p.s. for those interested, the workflow for deprecating the existing chart
is described at
https://github.com/helm/helm/blob/master/docs/charts.md#deprecating-charts.

Re: [VOTE] Import CouchDB Helm Chart (was [DISCUSS] Import CouchDB Helm Chart)

Posted by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1: 5
+0: 0
-1: 0

Thanks all - vote passes. I'll aim to start the migration this week.

Cheers,

Will

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
+1 thanks Will

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1 thanks Will

Posted by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Import CouchDB Helm Chart

Posted by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com>.
> Is the Helm team providing any CI assistance to self-hosted repositories?
The testing tools are freely available (
https://github.com/helm/chart-testing) but they don't provide any
infrastructure. We can potentially use something like Kind (
https://kind.sigs.k8s.io/) on Jenkins for deployment testing.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.