Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Pierce <Jo...@seagram.com> on 2000/01/18 17:36:46 UTC

Re[2]: WAR Files

Costin wrote:

>>The current code had an attempt to serve files directly from
>>War ( so user can just copy the war and use it) - but this
>>is bad from several reasons, and if nobody insists enough on
>>having this it will be probably removed.

I insist on retaining this functionality.

I currently install my applications under Tomcat as war files by copying an
application directory  with an embedded copy of Tomcat to my destination
machine. My application directory contains a runtime copy of Tomcat libraries
and scripts for launching Tomcat, along with war files, one for each
application.

It is very important to me that I be able to deploy applications by merely
copying war files into the appropriate directory. I do not want to have to run a
specific deployment tool to create my war file or install it.

The servlet container can expand the war file the first time it needs to server
files from it. A specific deployment tool should not be required. I would also
like the option of writing my own deployment tool to deploy applications, but
not require it.

Jonathan

Subject:    Re: WAR Files
Author: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date:       1/18/00 12:19 AM

> I have tried to run the tomcat - tests on my configuration. I found that
> I had to expand the WAR files to make them work.
>
> Is this a known bug? I would like to transfer several web applications
> from NT to our Enterprise 450, and WAR files would make a difference!

It's not a bug, maybe a missing feature - but it may not be a feature
we all want to have...

WAR is intended as a way to install and transfer web applications.
It is not a "run-time" format.

The correct mechanism is to use a tool ( like a "deploy-war" program-
it can be a command-line or a GUI or a web page or anything ), and
that tool will "install" the war file into your server.

The current code had an attempt to serve files directly from
War ( so user can just copy the war and use it) - but this
is bad from several reasons, and if nobody insists enough on
having this it will be probably removed.

Reasons why serving from war is bad:
- Apache ( and other servers) - static files are better served
by apache, tomcat is not optimized for serving static files.

- code is complex - take a look at the code, there are too many
special cases added all over the code

- it is not enough - to install the application, you still
need a deploy tool ( or manual actions). For example
editing apache config, editing server.xml.

Costin

RE: Hp-ux

Posted by Klaus Myrseth <kl...@infohwy.no>.
Yes, download a java vm and run it :)

Take the unix tar.gz file, it should do.

Take care (Java apps are cross platform programs and as long as the target
platform has a java compiler and vm you will be able to run this server.)

Klaus Myrseth

Hp-ux

Posted by David Scott Russell <da...@umd.umich.edu>.