Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com> on 2015/09/16 23:42:01 UTC

Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Sending to both the log4j and log4net mailing lists.

I'm curious why log4net is not more similar to log4j(2)?  Is it because there is less development work being done on log4net and log4j had significant changes in the 2.0 version?  Any chance log4net might become more of a "port" of log4j(2) and thus be more similar?

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Well, it might be huge but I’m guessing it would be a lot of fun!

Ralph

Posted by Anthony Francisco <an...@recombulator.net>.
The old db4o project used a automated tool as part of their build to
translate their Java code into C#. I can't look up the tool right now, but
I think it was called Sharpen.

-Ants

Posted by Anthony Francisco <an...@recombulator.net>.
The old db4o project used a tool

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Nick,

You ask and discuss on the dev list.  The number of developers isn’t that large so it should be readily apparent if there is interest.  That said, Log4j 1.x was pretty dormant when I started working on Log4j 2. I worked for almost 18 months before I committed anything just because I wasn’t really sure about anything. After I had something to talk about I committed it to an experimental branch where others could start contributing their ideas.  I think that has worked out pretty well.

Since you don’t currently have commit rights you might either start something on github or it may be possible to create a new git repo for log4net 2 and give you access to that. That would be a bit unusual but not unheard of.

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Nick,

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

From: bodewig@apache.org
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:25:00 +0200

"Patches welcome" is my motto :-)

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

From: bodewig@apache.org
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:25:00 +0200

"Patches welcome" is my motto :-)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Take a look at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html <http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-09-19, Nicholas Duane wrote:

> I'm not sure how the log4j, log4j2 and log4net groups are related.

The people developing log4j and the people developing log4net are
separate teams - and have always been.  The other log4XYZ-es (everything
not log4j) have been inspired by log4j but they've never been started by
the log4j folks because they wanted to reach beyond the Java platform.

> I'm not sure if it works this way, but I see that the apache logging
> framework can be an architecture/design or specification which can be
> realized on different platform/languages.

This is not how things happened historically.

It might even be a bad idea if such an approach forced you to base the
architecture on the least common denominator of your target platforms -
I'm not sure.

Stefan

Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.
By afterthought I mean that log4net appears to be a second class
citizen, compared to log4j.  It appears it was a snapshot, eg one time
port, after which it hasn't got much attention.

The fate it's
suffering is people moving away from it, or maybe not even adopting it
to begin with because of the lack of investment, in terms of features
and fixes.  I've seen several posts along these lines.  It appears some
have adopted nlog just because of the lack of activity on log4net.

Yeah,
 that one sentence is a bit confusing.  What I meant was that log4net,
being a second class citizen, would maybe get features that were added
to log4j if there were resources available.  Maybe not.  And maybe the
features would be a port or instead implemented somewhat differently.
This last part may not be true.  As I mentioned, I see big differences
between log4net and log4j2 so maybe that's because log4j and log4j2 are
very different and maybe log4net was similar to log4j.

In terms
of the levels, either the scales are reversed, or they have been
reversed between log4j and log4j2.  OFF in log4j2 is 0, ALL is
int.maxvalue.  OFF in log4net is 0x7fffffff (int.maxvalue) and ALL is
0x80000000 (int.minvalue).  This means that more specific in log4j2 is
< or <= and less specific is > or >=.  It's the opposite in
log4net.

Don't get me wrong, I see no problem in log4net being a
second class citizen.  If the target platform for your architecture and
design is linux/java and the majority of the resources you have a java
resources, then that makes perfect sense.  However, the result (in terms of log4net), of
course, will be what has happened.

I'm not sure how the log4j,
log4j2 and log4net groups are related.  I'm not sure if it works this
way, but I see that the apache logging framework can be an
architecture/design or specification which can be realized on different
platform/languages.  So you might have one group working on the
architecture/design and several other groups providing the different
implementations.

Thanks,
Nick

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
See inline..

> [...]

> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> > From: bodewig@apache.org
> > To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
> > Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:25:00 +0200
> >
> > On 2015-09-17, Gary Gregory wrote:
> >
> > > "Patches welcome" is my motto :-)
> >
> > > Gary

> > > I think I read somewhere that log4net was a port of log4j 1.
> >
> > This is certainly part of the reason. log4net was started as a port of
> > 1.x a long time ago. The developers (long before I joined) added some
> > deviations that look closer to what log4j 2 is doing (XML
> > configuration).
> >
> > Incidently Dominik started a discussion about log4net 2.0 on the dev
> > list[1] and some people expressed interest. Any hand that can offer
> > some help is more than welcome, so please come over and join.

Dominik Psenner

Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
See inline..

> [...]

> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> > From: bodewig@apache.org
> > To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
> > Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:25:00 +0200
> >
> > On 2015-09-17, Gary Gregory wrote:
> >
> > > "Patches welcome" is my motto :-)
> >
> > > Gary

> > > I think I read somewhere that log4net was a port of log4j 1.
> >
> > This is certainly part of the reason. log4net was started as a port of
> > 1.x a long time ago. The developers (long before I joined) added some
> > deviations that look closer to what log4j 2 is doing (XML
> > configuration).
> >
> > Incidently Dominik started a discussion about log4net 2.0 on the dev
> > list[1] and some people expressed interest. Any hand that can offer
> > some help is more than welcome, so please come over and join.

Dominik Psenner

RE: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.
"So, yes, log4net2 should be based on log4j2 and reuse all the knowledge that has been generated within log4j2."

While that sounds like it could mean a port I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it is a port.  I guess I'm focusing on "port" because it seems as if log4net is an afterthought it will again suffer the same fate.  I'm thinking that there is an overall architecture and design that is platform agnostic and should plan to go to both platforms.  As opposed to going to one and then if resources are available it might make it to the other, and if it does it might not be that similar.

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:20:46 +0200
From: dpsenner@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
CC: log4j-user@logging.apache.org

Given that both c# and java are very similar in both syntax and interpreter that runs the bytecode, users of log4j can expect a very steep learning curve when starting with log4net. Despite that log4net is based on log4j and thus may lack some things found in log4j2. These missing things and the support for ancient versions of the .net framework caused my desire to start off log4net2.
So, yes, log4net2 should be based on log4j2 and reuse all the knowledge that has been generated within log4j2. It would be stupid to do otherwise.

Posted by Douglas Wegscheid <do...@whirlpool.com>.
is something like jni4net an interim solution? Use log4j2 as is, just
expose the logging methods to .Net? All the guts would still be log4j2.

Yes, a little icky and clunky (and possibly not even viable), but just
throwing it out there....

*■ DOUGLAS E. WEGSCHEID* // Lead Analyst, Directories
(269) 923-5278 // Douglas_E_Wegscheid@whirlpool.com

"A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with
conviction is interpretation."

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> how
> > does this work?  Who's coordinating and making the decisions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nick
> >
> > > From: bodewig@apache.org
> > > To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
> > > Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
> > > Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:25:00 +0200

> because

> > > This is certainly part of the reason. log4net was started as a port of
> > > 1.x a long time ago. The developers (long before I joined) added some
> > > deviations that look closer to what log4j 2 is doing (XML
> > > configuration).
> > >
> > > Incidently Dominik started a discussion about log4net 2.0 on the dev
> > > list[1] and some people expressed interest. Any hand that can offer
> > > some help is more than welcome, so please come over and join.

*NOTICE: Whirlpool Corporation e-mail is for the designated recipient only
and may contain proprietary or otherwise confidential information. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use or disclosure of the e-mail by you
is unauthorized.*

RE: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Duane <ni...@msn.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
I think Piers wanted to know what differences between log4j and log4net
caused you to start this thread.

Cheers

Posted by Piers Williams <pi...@gmail.com>.