Posted to dev@steve.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2015/11/12 15:57:00 UTC

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Gentle ping - it would be nice to get some feedback here :)

With regards,
Daniel.

On 10/11/2015, 3:13:38 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I know we're quite a way from actual election time, but I think it might
> be worth having us try some mock elections at some point soon, so make
> sure the new pysteve system is up to the task and possibly identify any
> nits in the system that we can fix.
>
> As I wrote earlier this year, we have a new machine for conducting votes
> on, located at https://vote-wip.apache.org/ - the admin interface for
> this (for setting up elections etc) is at
> https://vote-wip.apache.org/admin/ and uses the regular ASF LDAP creds
> for login.
>
> Currently, Jim and I have administrative rights there and some CouchDB
> people have access to set up elections. If you're on the STeVe PMC and
> you'd like to give tinkering with the system a try, please speak up so
> Jim or I can add you as an admin in the system.
>
> What I'd really like for us to do is make some mock elections of various
> types (STV, yes/no/abstain) and invite some people to try out the test
> election, so we can make sure that:
>
> 1) Things in general work
> 2) Setup is something multiple people can figure out
> 3) The UI is intuitive
> 4) Vote tallying works as intended
> 5) Vote monitoring works as intended
>
> So, let's start by gathering a bunch of people interested in configuring
> and monitoring an election (with multiple issues to vote on), and then
> let's get some folks to volunteer as voters.
>
> WDYT?
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

------
Sent via Pony Mail for dev@steve.apache.org.
View this email online at:
https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@steve.apache.org

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
It goes to show that community building is not the same as coding.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*OFBiz Extensions Marketplace*
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 12/08/2015 04:45 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Am I not already contributing? But with respect to the upcoming tests;
> according to the definitions in various documents I don't qualify.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the last bit there :)
Anyone can participate in UX tests here, you don't have to be
committer/PMC to do that. It will be mostly a user experience and
usability test to determine any flaws or non-niceties in the system.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 12/08/2015 04:54 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> [snip]
>
> P.S.  There seems to be a disconnect between what Pierre and I are
> referring to as tests, and what you (Daniel) are referring to as
> tests.  I would feel more comfortable if there were some automated
> unit tests.

Anyone can contribute to unit tests - the software to deploy and run
pysteve is freely available. I'm going to get started on some, but it is
quite a large task, as there are quite a lot of units inside the
libraries. This is one of the areas where more help would be especially
welcomed, both to speed up things, but also to show that we have some
sort of community around this that wants to help :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/08/2015 03:00 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> On 12/07/2015 03:50 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>> The only thing I see at that url (https://vote-wip.apache.org/) is a big
>>> fat logo, which is nice...
>>>
>>> But it doesn't enable me to do anything obvious. Maybe I am missing
>>> something.
>>
>> This is a BTW: Does this mean you'll be interested in helping out with
>> the upcoming tests? :)
>>
>> With regards,
>> Daniel
>
> Oh, also, there is a Dockerfile for building pySTeVe with docker now :)

Sweet!

Prior to looking at the Dockerfile, I was concerned that this would be
a Yak Shaving exercise.  This makes me feel better.

> With regards,
> Daniel.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks!

I guess it'll happen when it will happen.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/17/2015 12:06 AM, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> The total of two---count 'em, 2---threads on the user@steve.apache.org
>> mailing list since December 2014 might be an indication of a lack of
>> outside interest.
>
> Well that veered off topic fast :)
>
> two threads on user@ is probably because we have _no release_ to offer
> to people. There is one active developer and perhaps 3-4 active
> contributors, and yes, that's an issue. We need to test what we have and
> consider releasing at some point, even if it's just pySTeVe we release.
> But that requires people that are interested in testing and releasing.
>
> I don't see how combining STeVe and Whimsy would solve much - if
> anything, it would simply create two diaspora-projects within a TLP.
>
> Before we start considering drastic measures like combining TLPs or
> moving to the attic, I would strongly urge the committers and PMC
> members to at least try to help out with promoting STeVe and getting
> some new blood to the project. If that fails completely, then fine - but
> by golly, we should at least TRY.
>
> I for one will start looking for new people to help out with this, as I
> still think STeVe has a role to play, not just as an internal tool, but
> something that could be used elsewhere.

When projects approach me looking to enter the incubator and build a
community, I stress the need for the project to have clear
instructions on how to download, build, and test their changes.  I
asked earlier on this thread for this, and got basically a hand wave.

If work starts on those aspects, I'll be a glad to increase my
participation and spread the word.  This could be instructions for
setting up a Vagrant VM, or a Docker container, or running on your own
machine.

> With regards,
> Daniel.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Mock tests at some point?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 12/07/2015 02:03 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Up to yesterday I made 89 contributions to this project. But to no avail
> regarding being noticed/recognized. This must be a 'very special project'.

I can only speak for myself, of course, but your contributions have been
noted.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Mock tests at some point?