Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Sander van der Waal <sa...@oucs.ox.ac.uk> on 2011/10/05 17:28:01 UTC

Rave/Wookie meetup at ApacheCon Vancouver 9 Nov

Hi all,

As discussed earlier on the Rave-dev list [1], we'd like to get together
at ApacheCon Vancouver, 7-11 November. Although listed as a Rave event I
believe there's enough of a shared interest to make our activities
relevant for the Wookie community and it can be an opportunity to discuss
existing/potential collaborations between the projects.

On Monday and Tuesday, there will be an opportunity to get together for
hacking. There will be a big room with plenty wifi and power and coffee(?)
for anyone interested to hack on Wookie/Rave/whatever you like. I'll be
there on both days.

The main conference is on Wed - Friday. After the previous discussion
I've indicated to the organisers that we'd like to have a Rave meetup on
Wednesday night. Since there are efforts going on to integrate
functionality from Wookie and Rave I think it'd be interesting for
people here to be there if they can make it. The meetup is also listed
on the ApacheCon wiki [2]. *Please go there and +1 the meetup if you can
come along. That is important to let the organisers know about the
interest in the meetup.*

There's not really a schedule for the meetup (yet) but one of the things
that might be good to discuss is the overlap or opportunities for
is talk about a project we're running here in Oxford that is building
tighter collaboration between Wookie and Rave. Another topic I'd like to
discuss is the templates we're developing in Rave in Context [3].

I look forward to seeing many of you in Vancouver!

Sander

[1] http://markmail.org/search/?q=apache-rave+meetup#query:apache-rave%20meetup%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.rave-dev%20date%3A201106%20+page:1+mid:iudcsxmfwc56flln+state:results
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/ApacheMeetupsNa11
[3] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/rave-in-context/

Re: Rave/Wookie meetup at ApacheCon Vancouver 9 Nov

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks Sander,

I've added +2 to the "interested" column [1], one for myself and one
for Steve Lee who will be there as my guest.

My interests are in getting as many non-Rave people there as possible.
I'd like to see us covering things like "why might I use Rave". There
will be beer and I  would hope we can attract 5-10 interested parties
from outside the existing community.

Rave-in-Context is a good example use case for this. The tighter
integration work you talk about might me more appropriate for the
Hackathon time. But I'm willing to be persuaded by the majority.

Ross

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/ApacheMeetupsNa11

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)