Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Vivek Goel <go...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/22 17:23:02 UTC

Returning Null in thrift server

Hi,

Is there a way to return null in thrift server ?

I have a string data type , Which can have three possible values:

   1. Empty String
   2. Null String
   3. Some string value

I want to differentiate b/w Empty String and Null String.

Currently I have done like:

MyDataType{

string value;

bool is_null;

}

I set's is_null as true if value is null. Is there any better way of doing
this ?
regards
Vivek Goel

Re: Returning Null in thrift server

Posted by Randy Abernethy <Ra...@rx-m.com>.
Hello Vivek,

You might try making it optional. Then you could have three states:
not set,
set to ""
set to "hello Thrift"

Best,
Randy

--
Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner, RX-M, LLC

Re: Returning Null in thrift server

Posted by Dan Kuebrich <da...@gmail.com>.
You could use a union to get closer, but it's highly similar to what you
already proposed.  See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-409