Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Oxley <da...@staffplanner.co.uk> on 2000/11/20 17:16:19 UTC

RE: Antwort: RE: tomcat vs orion vs weblogic testing results (Loa d Runner)

Oops. Tomcat twice the speed of WebSphere.

Von: Manne Anliot [mailto:Manne.Anliot@framfab.se]
Gesendet am: Montag, 20. November 2000 11:15
An: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'

Hi all..

I'm doing work load testing on a webapplication built on javascript, .JSP:s
and EJB:s. We've load tested on many different setups and are getting some
interesting results:

Simulated number of users: 25
Computer setup: NT4 sp6, 1 GB RAM, Pentium III ~600 MHz
Tomcat setup: 1 ajp12-worker.. (We need out-of-process workers for
scalability)

<snip>
setup1: webserver - apache 1.3.x, jsp - tomcat 3.2b6 (mod_jk.dll)
setup2: webserver - weblogic, jsp - weblogic (latest versions as of this
date)
setup3: webserver - orion, jsp - orion (latest versions as of this date)
<snip>

setup2 and setup3 are 8 (eight) times faster in our tests (Load Runner).
Even if we suspected tomcat to be a bit slower, this is truly remarkable..
We've tried optimizing Tomcat by:
1. using ajp13 protocol - failed, we're just getting exceptions from tomcat
2. reloadable=false - of course
3. fiddling with JVM memory settings - minor improvements

Any ideas on what's wrong here? This must be a configuration problem. Have
anyone else found the same results?

Regards,
Manne Anliot.

Re: Antwort: RE: tomcat vs orion vs weblogic testing results (Load Runner)

Posted by Miles Daffin <mi...@cwcom.net>.
> Oops. Tomcat twice the speed of WebSphere.

Which versions/builds of WebSphere and TomCat would these be exactly?
Can you say anything else - some settings, stats etc.

Miles