Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pid <p...@pidster.com> on 2007/05/24 14:54:23 UTC

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Look up 'SecurityManager'.

RE: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Fargusson.Alan [mailto:Alan.Fargusson@ftb.ca.gov]
> Subject: RE: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit
>
> Is System.exit implemented in Tomcat?  I thought System.exit
> is implemented in the JVM.

It's part of the JRE.  Tomcat merely makes use of it in a few places.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
> Subject: Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit
>
> yes it is a kludge, and I doubt very much whether changing
> anything in catalina.policy will do anything in this case...

It's certainly not a kludge; one of the primary functions of a security
manager is to prevent 3rd party classes used by your app from doing
anything your app doesn't want it to do.  Sounds like you need to do
some reading about the Java security manager capability, and stop
assuming things that simply aren't true.

You are correct in thinking that changing catalina.policy won't have an
effect, since that isn't used when Tomcat runs as embedded.  You need to
specify a security manager and your own policy file when the JVM starts.

> because the security manager is probably
> incorporated in the web-app class loader...

It's not; a security manager is part of the core JVM, not associated
with any particular class loader.  That's why there can be only one
security manager per JVM instance.

> I'm trying to protect an embedded application FROM TOMCAT itself.

No, you're trying to protect an application from an embedded Tomcat,
which is exactly what security managers are intended for.

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Johnny Kewl" <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote in message
> Ok... beginning to think I'm the only one reading here... yes it is a
> kludge, and I doubt very much whether changing anything in catalina.policy
> will do anything in this case... because the security manager is probably
> incorporated in the web-app class loader... and yes this and the
> documentation makes sense when protecting Tomcat from a rouge web-app....
> but thats not what I'm trying to do... I'm trying to protect an embedded
> application FROM TOMCAT itself.
> The code I have shown you is TOMCATS CODE... not the embedded application
> code which is using tomcat as a library... or a Web-App's code.
>
> Ok... think we got crossed lines somewhere... but just to recap... Tomcats
> System.Exit code kills the client calling tomcat... its rude ;)
> I suppose I could write a class loader in the client... tell it to stop
> System.Exits in a custom security manager... and then load up tomcat using
> that classloader... little bit too much work dont you think?
> All I think is happening is that those System.Exits make a lot of sense
> from a server perspective... but not from an embedded perspective... its
> not a disaster, it doenst make tomcat bad (its great), its just something
> to think about....

What this does is to make certain that Tomcat dies in the event that the
shutdown Socket connection dies (rarely happens).  A properly designed
Embedded TC shouldn't have to go through this code:  It should have it's own
mechanism  for signaling shutting down, and call the 'stop' method on the
Catalina/Embedded/Server instance (via JMX or otherwise).  Since the
'stopServer' method is intended for a stand-alone TC, I'm going to guess
that you won't get much developer interest in removing the System.exit
calls.

RE: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

RE: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Re: TOMCAT ISSUE: System.Exit

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Sorry dont understand, please explain a little more.
I cant see what the security manager has to do with it.