Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com> on 2000/03/05 06:38:06 UTC

User Documentation for using Tomcat

In an attempt to assist users that are new to servlets/JSPs, and new to
Tomcat, I've checked in the beginnings of an introductory manual
describing how to set up a new web application using Tomcat, with
assistance in configuring a source directory structure and an Ant
"build.xml" file.  It's in the jakarta-tomcat CVS tree, starting at
"src/doc/appdev/index.html".  Please take a look, and suggest
improvements.  When (and if) we are satisfied with it, this manual can
be added to the root context that is built by default.

Craig McClanahan

Re: User Documentation for using Tomcat

Posted by Russell - The Rice Group <ru...@thericegroup.com>.
I like the fact that someone is attempting to document the installation and
configuration of Tomcat.  I have manage to get Apache, mod_ssl and Tomcat to
function.    What I would really like to see in the docs is a way to create
a directory structrure that does not start with Tomcat.   I am working with
a project that have several different clients and I do not want the classes
mixing between classes, for security and clearity.  What I would like to see
is directory structure like this:

Documents  for client one   ->  /usr/local/apache/htdocs/clientone
Classes for client one  ->    /usr/local/apache/htdocs/clientone/classes

Documents for client two   ->   /usr/local/apache/htdocs/clienttwo
Classes for client two  ->   /usr/local/apache/htdocs/clienttwo/classes

I would like to use this type of a structure because I understand how to
configure Apaches password protection with type of a directory structure.
Also it keeps the files for each clients completely seperated.

Well this was my 2 cents,
Russell

Re: User Documentation for using Tomcat

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> "src/doc/appdev/index.html".  Please take a look, and suggest
> improvements.  When (and if) we are satisfied with it, this manual can
> be added to the root context that is built by default.

Few:

- Ant is (should be) included with tomcat ( the jar file ). There is   a
script that runs ant in a tomcat "environment" ( i.e. with
the classpath set to include tomcat jars).
( tomcat.sh ant )

- Source organization: I think it would be simpler to have it identical
with the binary distribution, with the addition of WEB-INF/src.

- build.xml - excelent idea!! We can include one in tomcat - it would be
great to just type "tomcat rebuild myapp".
That will mean:
- create your dir under webapps/
- create WEB-INF and WEB-INF/src
- place any libraries you depend on in WEB-INF/lib
- write htmls, java, etc
- type "tomcat rebuild myapp"
( for 3.2 we can go one more step and add something in the admin
interface)

Few sugestions for the current one:
- remove as many properties as possible - build.compiler is not used,
most other properties will not be needed if you work inside tomcat
hierarchy, if not only tomcat.home and myapp are needed.
- see above - we can provide one build.xml in tomcat, the developer will
not need to worry.

Costin