Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> on 2004/03/30 12:03:18 UTC

%APR_ICONV_PATH%: SVN vs. TSVN (and other related) on Windows

Hi,

Both Subversion (at least the installer) and TortoiseSVN sets the
environment variable %APR_ICONV_PATH% for their own paths. I just
installed TSVN and do now have TSVN's %APR_ICONV_PATH%.
The same thing happends the opposite way if Subversion is installed as
the last one.

I can imagine that this can make trouble for us. What can happend if one
of them already is installed (and working well) and another one is
installed with bogus iconvs?

Here is two scenarios:

 1. The user installs Subversion on a machine where TortoiseSVN
    already works, and the new iconv are bogus.

 2. The user installs TortoiseSVN on a machine where Subversion
    already works, and the new iconv is bogus.
    The Subversion modules for Apache stops work when they discover
    the new value of the %APR_ICONV_PATH% (for example after a
    reboot) and we have a meltdown.

My guess is that this iconv files will be used by a lot more apps in the
future.

Would it be right to consider one of the solutions:

* All Subversion related apps are using a common %SVN_APR_ICONV_PATH%.
  and installs (reads) the iconv files from one place and every
  package/instructions file makes sure that the files are placed on
  the same common location.

* All users of %APR_ICONV_PATH% are doing the same as above (apache
  related in stead of Subversion related).

* Every app is using their own set of iconv where the app's own
  location for iconv are hardcoded related to the binary that needs
  them.

* You never set the environment variable %APR_ICONV_PATH% if it's
  there already and contains the needed files.

I think that every app should have it's own set of the iconv files and
keep them unshared by opher apps.
The reason is that they are unversioned, we do only have created, last
changed and last accessed times for each file.
The only reliable propery of this is "last accessed time" wich don't tell
us anything about the version of a file.
As an example: The created time for the iso-8859-1.so file on people's
machine will probably be equal with the time they was copyed to the
location they are in, not when they was compiled.

Thoughts?

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: %APR_ICONV_PATH%: SVN vs. TSVN (and other related) on Windows

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 14.03, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

Well, Stefan (StevKing) pointed out some important stuff for me about my
concerns I had in the top posting:

* TSVN wouldn't be affected (so TSVN is a bad example)
* You'll get different iconvs for different compilers (sounds bad)
* You can compile the iconvs to use the apr.dll or to use apr
  statically linked. Subversion _currently_ uses the latter, but on
  trunk it uses the first one. (Well I knew that but forgot it. Branko
  told me about this some time ago).

Jostein