Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr> on 2019/02/03 06:37:26 UTC

[UPGRADE] - Spring

Hi,

I have a local branch with an upgrade of Spring to 4.3.22 wich is
compatible with JDK 6-8.

All tests passed and I think we could include this upgrade to the next
1.4.1 Shiro release.

@Brian : we will be ok with owasp check :)

Thoughts?

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Cool :)

I will merge it

regards,

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good!

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi Brian,

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I agree, I prepared some updates on the OSGi front (and fixes). I think
it makes sense to move forward on releases.

Maybe having a regular cadence would be helpful as well.

Regards
JB

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Thanks Brian,

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi guys,

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by "francois.papon" <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi guys,Are we ok to upgrade Spring to 4.x in the next 1.4.1 ?RegardsFrancoisEnvoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com> Date : 05/02/2019  02:54  (GMT+04:00) À : dev@shiro.apache.org Objet : Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring But through our transitive dependencies, we are pulling in an updatedversion of Spring which may cause issues.(Though I'm guessing most/all projects would manage the dependency versionsof Spring and Shiro separately)This is from semver.org:https://semver.org/#what-should-i-do-if-i-update-my-own-dependencies-without-changing-the-public-apiWhat should I do if I update my own dependencies without changing thepublic API?That would be considered compatible since it does not affect the publicAPI. Software that explicitly depends on the same dependencies as yourpackage should have their own dependency specifications and the author willnotice any conflicts. Determining whether the change is a patch level orminor level modification depends on whether you updated your dependenciesin order to fix a bug or introduce new functionality. I would usuallyexpect additional code for the latter instance, in which case it’sobviously a minor level increment.Clear as mud :) I'm fine with either, though personally, I'd lean to sayingsupporting Spring 4+ is a "feature" (I can just as easily see the its a bugfix view too)On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:> Not really?  Everything I know about semantic versioning indicates it> has nothing to do with dependencies or build configuration - it has> everything to do with how it might impact your actual existing source> code during compilation or runtime.  In other words:>> - Can the user upgrade from their current version to the proposed> version and not change a single line of their code or .ini/bean config> and then at a later date downgrade back to the currently in-use> version of Shiro?  If so, it's a point release.  That is, I should be> able to use 1.4.0, 1.4.1 and then 1.4.9 and then downgrade to 1.4.3> and not change a single line of my source code or .ini/bean config> that uses Shiro.>> - Can the user upgrade from their current version to the proposed> version and utilize new classes or methods that don't exist in the> current version?  If so, it's a minor release.  This means I can go to> 1.5.0 but not down to 1.4.9 because I might be using something that> doesn't exist in 1.4.x.>> - Can the user upgrade from their current version to the proposed> version and will they be required to use different or new classes or> methods otherwise their code will fail to compile or run?  If so, it's> a major release, i.e. 1.x --> 2.x>> None of this implies build configuration.  If I upgrade from 1.4.0 to> 1.4.1 and I have to change my *build* config (not my .java files),> it's totally fine and doesn't warrant a major or minor release.>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 3:05 PM Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>> wrote:> >> > Agreed, but updating to a Spring minor version and the OSGI config also> > seems more than a patch fix?> >> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:25 AM Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>> wrote:> >> > > Per semantic versioning, major and minor versions should only be> > > incremented if there is a change/addition to the API exposed to> > > application developers.  If we're just changing pom.xml files, a point> > > revision seems more appropriate, no?> > >> > > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:22 AM Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>> > > wrote:> > > >> > > > +1> > > > we might want to bump the Shiro version to 1.5.0 it sounds like we> have> > > > Spring version update plus all of the OSGI stuff,> > > > Thoughts?> > > >> > > > On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 1:38 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> >> > > wrote:> > > >> > > > > +1> > > > >> > > > > it sounds good to me.> > > > >> > > > > Regards> > > > > JB> > > > >> > > > > On 03/02/2019 07:37, Francois Papon wrote:> > > > > > Hi,> > > > > >> > > > > > I have a local branch with an upgrade of Spring to 4.3.22 wich is> > > > > > compatible with JDK 6-8.> > > > > >> > > > > > All tests passed and I think we could include this upgrade to the> > > next> > > > > > 1.4.1 Shiro release.> > > > > >> > > > > > @Brian : we will be ok with owasp check :)> > > > > >> > > > > > Thoughts?> > > > > >> > > > > > Regards,> > > > > >> > > > >> > > > > --> > > > > Jean-Baptiste Onofré> > > > > jbonofre@apache.org> > > > > http://blog.nanthrax.net> > > > > Talend - http://www.talend.com> > > > >> > >>

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UPGRADE] - Spring

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback ;)

I have in mind this roadmap about next releases:

- 1.4.1

  * OSGi and Karaf stuff

  * Upgrade to Springframework 4.3.22 (to be ok with OWASP)

  * Keep compatibility with JDK6

  * Upgrade some maven plugin version

- 1.5.0

  * Upgrade to JDK8

  * Upgrade to Springframework 5.x

  * Upgrade dependencies (according to JDK8)

  * Add itests for Karaf

  * Add samples for Karaf

- 2.0.0

  * Compatibility with JDK 9/10/11

  * Package refactoring

  * API refactoring (according to the 2.0.0 existing branch)

I think we also could start brainstorming about Shiro and Cloud initiative.

Thoughts?

Regards,

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org