Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anjishnu Bandyopadhyay <an...@infosys.com> on 2006/02/20 18:44:17 UTC

Opening a MS Word from JSP/HTML

Hi all,

I have a static MS Word document, which I want to open on click of a
hyperlink in my JSP page.

I am trying like: window.open('abc.doc','',600,600);

But the Word doc is not properly opening.

In IE, the document opens in the browser itself.

In Mozilla, the Word doc opens along with a blank screen.

Thanks for your time.

With best regards,

Anjishnu.

Re: Opening a MS Word from JSP/HTML

Posted by Bart Busschots <ba...@cs.nuim.ie>.
That's a client issue. As a webdesigner you have no control over that.
All you can do is provide a simple link and let the clients save it or
open it what ever way they want. You can't force word to open.

Bart.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
Anjishnu Bandyopadhyay wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have a static MS Word document, which I want to open on click of a
> hyperlink in my JSP page.
>
> I am trying like: window.open('abc.doc','',600,600);
>

> But the Word doc is not properly opening.
>
> In IE, the document opens in the browser itself.
>
> In Mozilla, the Word doc opens along with a blank screen.

This issue has nothing to do with Stuts. However... You ask your browser to
open a window, and the document into it. So IE does just what you ask it do.

Mozilla opens the window which you ask it to open, but the document opens in
another window, WinWord, I guess.

How about just an ordinary link <a href="abc.doc" ? It all depends what you
mean by "properly". Now you ask for a window in browser...