Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/24 15:53:53 UTC

[ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Hi,

The 'Sling IDE tools' ( née Slingclipse ) have been restructured ( see
[1] ) and are now ready to get more attention from a development point
of view.

I'd like to propose moving them from Antonio's whiteboard [2] to the
contrib directory, at contrib/ide . Since they are a bit different
from the regular bundle/test builds, they should be excluded from the
contrib reactor build and built independently if needed.

I think they should also get a Jira component and a separate Jenkins job.

Thoughts?

Robert

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2973
[2]: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/whiteboard/asanso/plugins/eclipse/

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
+1

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
+1, also, for tooling.
Ian

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1 for tooling

Re: [ide] VLT vs Resource-based (was: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I completely agree - and I hope that we soon have a VLT release as this is
currently blocking if we go the VLT way.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

[ide] VLT vs Resource-based (was: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib)

Posted by Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
Hi Robert,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Justin Edelson
> <ju...@justinedelson.com> wrote:
> > +1 to tooling and moving Maven stuff there.
> > -0 to moving IDE out of the whiteboard until we have a consensus on a
> > serialization/transport form.
> >
> > My understanding is that the current IDE codebase is being used to
> > prototype a serialization form and transport protocol and that we will
> > eventually be trying to reach consensus on using that, vlt, or something
> > else.
>
> I've waited to propose move out of whiteboard until we had a solid
> module structure which can be used to evolve the IDE stuff into what
> we want it to be.
>
> The serialization form is more or less a draft which I'm using until
> FileVault is accepted into Jackrabbit. The transport protocol is based
> on the Sling HTTP Get/Post servlets, which is a de facto standard for
> Sling applications, at least for those not using FileVault.
>
> The point here is that I don't have vlt to work with _now_ and I can
> evolve the Eclipse mechanisms ( UI , servers, modules, change
> detection ) - which are not trivial - without waiting for vlt. And I
> can gather feedback from people brave enough to try it without waiting
> for vlt.

Can't you do all of that in a whiteboard or branch?

> Once we can use VLT, we'll see what fits best. I admit that I have an
> inclination towards the resource-based API, but it's not my personal
> decision to make.

I think to make an apples-to-apples comparison, the packaging format and
installaion services will also need to be at least defined (better yet
would be to have prototypes available). I thought that was the outcome of
the prior thread we had on this subject. As I said at that point, the
advantage of leveraging VLT is that the existing packaging tool ecosystem
would not need to be recreated.

> Of course, I can put a hold on moving the codebase to trunk/tooling,
> but that would not gain anything for now, since the codebase is in
> flux anyway.

I guess I just don't see the driver to move anything. But I'm not going to
veto such a move.

Justin

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
In general I think we can move the stuff to trunk as long as it doesn't
break the build for everyone, even if the stuff is in flux and might be
completely changed over time. We ahve consensus that we want to do this in
the Sling project and having it in trunk gives it more visibility and the
sooner other people join the effort the better.
However, this means we can't use vlt in trunk unless it is in jackrabbit
*and* we have a released version of it. I don't want to have a snapshot
dependency to an external project. And we have to check with jackrabbit
when we can expect a first release.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com> wrote:
> sorry for misunderstanding but what I really meant is :
>
> would it be impossible to have ONLY one API that is agnostic of VLT vs resource based?
>
> regards

If what you mean is having three bundles

* ide-api
* resource-impl
* vlt-impl

and then having the eclipse plugin work with only the ide-api bundle,
not knowing what the implementations are, then I think it is possible.

Robert

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
just taking a stab here ,

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.
Given the discussions, I've moved the codebase from the whiteboard to
tooling/ide. I've created a Sling job at
https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Sling/job/sling-ide-1.6/ and
also applied exclusions for tooling/ide when building the
sling-trunk-{1.6,1.7} jobs.

The tooling/ide reactor is not yet part of the default reactor. It's a
good question whether it should be – or rather whether the whole
tooling directory should be part of the default reactor. But that's
another topic.

For now, it builds separately and I'll follow up on different Jira
issues/discussions for incremental improvements.

BTW, should we have a Jira component for it or keep using 'Extensions'
like we did so far?

Thanks,

Robert

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...create a top level "tooling" (or so) folder and put the "ide" and "maven" stuff in there ?...

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [ide] Moving the IDE tools to contrib

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi