Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Paul Burba <pa...@softlanding.com> on 2006/08/28 18:39:40 UTC

svnmerge.py Policy (Was: Re: svn commit: r21294 - in branches/ebcdic/v5r4/1.4.x...)

"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> wrote on 08/28/2006 02:04:33 PM:

> Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
> > pburba@tigris.org wrote:
> >> Author: pburba
> >> Date: Mon Aug 28 06:57:49 2006
> >> New Revision: 21294
> >>
> >> Log:
> >> Merge r20780:21228 from branches/1.4.x to branches/ebcdic/V5R4/1.4.x.
> >>

> > Should we not use svnmerge.py to record merges?

Hi All,

I looked at using svnmerge.py for this merge, recalling a few posts
mentioning it.  But after finding little in the way of guidance on how to
use it on an existing branch that's been merged into repeatedly already, I
turned my attention to other things.  I did this somewhat out of
frustration but mostly because I was unaware it was required...

> I believe this is (and should be) a policy applied at a given branch
> owner's discretion.

...So what is our policy exactly?  There is no mention of it in HACKING,
should there be?

Paul B.

Re: svnmerge.py Policy (Was: Re: svn commit: r21294 - in branches/ebcdic/v5r4/1.4.x...)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 8/28/06, Paul Burba <pa...@softlanding.com> wrote:
> >I looked at using svnmerge.py for this merge, recalling a few posts
> >mentioning it.  But after finding little in the way of guidance on how to
> >use it on an existing branch that's been merged into repeatedly already, I
> >turned my attention to other things.  I did this somewhat out of
> >frustration but mostly because I was unaware it was required...
>
> As I've said before, those people who want us to use svnmerge.py
> everywhere need to commit some instructions somewhere into HACKING.
> Ideally, example snippets should also be included in STATUS or
> whatever.  But, forcing people to play hunt the wumpus to merge is
> silly.  -- justin

Why not require its use only for release branches?  It's already setup
for all such branches...

Re: svnmerge.py Policy (Was: Re: svn commit: r21294 - in branches/ebcdic/v5r4/1.4.x...)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.