Posted to users@camel.apache.org by lorenzo <ld...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/18 18:13:10 UTC

Testing the routing logic in isolation (FitNesse)

Hi there,

I would like to test the routing logic through a tool like FitNesse, and I
am wondering what is the best approach for this.

I want to mock pretty much everything but still use the routing as defined
in the production code.

jUnit is not the place I want this to happen purely because my stakeholders
cannot / do not want to read java or jUnit tests.

A wiki based tool like FitNesse is a much better tool for what I want to
achieve.

Thanks

Re: Testing the routing logic in isolation (FitNesse)

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the very pleasant feedback! This helps to further improve Apache
Camel.

Have a nice Camel ride,
Christian

Posted by David Valeri <dv...@apache.org>.
I'm not familiar with FitNesse.  After a quick read through their
documentation I arrived at the conclusions below.

I think one path forward would be to write a fixture for FitNesse that
uses the input data and output expectations from FitNesse to exercise
your route.  Your fixture would be responsible for bootstrapping and
configuring the route with the resources that it needs for testing
(whether those resource are real or a mock is up to you and the test
scenario).  You will still have to code the fixture, but your
users/testers can come up with test data sets through FitNesse once
you have the fixture working.

Since FitNesse seems to want to drive a set of data into a test and
validate the resulting output, it is similar to the stated
functionality of the DataSet component in Camel (code is in
camel-core).  I would look at this code as a possible example of how
to implement a FitNesse fixture for driving a test from data in the
FitNesse wiki.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM, lorenzo <ld...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to test the routing logic through a tool like FitNesse, and I
> am wondering what is the best approach for this.
>
> I want to mock pretty much everything but still use the routing as defined
> in the production code.
>
> jUnit is not the place I want this to happen purely because my stakeholders
> cannot / do not want to read java or jUnit tests.
>
> A wiki based tool like FitNesse is a much better tool for what I want to
> achieve.
>
> Thanks

David Valeri
Twitter: DavidValeri