Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Eramo <ma...@trustvesta.com> on 2007/08/24 16:12:14 UTC

Question on Subversion Functionality

Hello,
  I am having a problem with Subversion and wondering if anyone has run
into this before. ( I am rather new to Subversion so I am not sure if
this is a bug or I am doing something wrong).

We are using Subcommander 1.2.2 as our GUI Interface. Here is the issue.

I check out the following folder/code from the Subversion Repository:
*/svn/repo/Database/project1/trunk*
Now the code is on my local PC. When I setup a working copy folder, it
shows up fine in subcommander.
I put the code into in */home/user/Subversion/Database/project1 (mind
you, the code in trunk resides i nthe project1 folder so there ie now
trunk sub folder).*

A developer came along and added the following folder into Subversion:
*/svn/repo/Database/project1/trunk/test
*So now there is a test cases folder under trunk with new code.

I now go into Subversion and checkout the *test cases only*, not all the
code under trunk.
They would get checked out to:
*/home/user/Subversion/Database/project1/test

*If I then look at the working copy view in Subcommander, it is like
Subversion does not know I have it checked out there. In Subcommander,
the folder test shows up with a question mark. Subversion does not see
them as being under source control but I just checked this out from the
repository. The test folder has it's own .svn folder now and the code is
in the test folder.

If I start over and do a recursive checkout on the trunk folder to
include all the files in test as well, it shows up fine in subcommander.

It is almost like subversion is not updating the information in the*
/home/user/Subversion/Database/project1/.svn* folder to tell it about
the new folder/code the I just checked out underneath.

I was wondering if anyone has run int this? Could this be a subversion
or subcommander bug? Could I be doing something wrong, missing a step?

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Re: Question on Subversion Functionality

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
The problem is you shouldn't check out subfolders of a repo into
subfolders of a working copy.  Use svn update to grab the latest
changes.

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On 8/28/07, Mark Eramo <ma...@trustvesta.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the information however I am still having an issue so I
> must still be doing something wrong.
>
> To recap....
> What I have is, for example, the project *svn/project1* in Subversion
> was checked out to */home/user/project1*
>
> Now, a new folder was added in Subversion, *svn/project1/test
>
> *I have already seen that if I try to checkout *svn/project1/test *to
> */home/user/project1/test, *it sees it as 2 separate checkouts because
> in subcommander, the* test *folder shows up with a question mark so it
> does not think it is under svn control.
>
> I tried doing just an update but it does not clear the ? flag. I also
> tried just doing an update of the working copy at the folder level but
> it does not update the */home/user/project1 *folder to include *test.
>
> *Could it be that when I did a checkout on */home/user/project1 *I did
> not do a recursive checkout so now when I try to recursively add a
> folder, it does not do it. Maybe I am using the update command the wrong
> way.
>
> Any additional thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Yes, when you do not do a recursive checkout (i.e., "svn co -N"), the update
only updates the checked out files / directories. To update a certain
directory -- in this case "test" -- you have to update it explicitly -- 'svn
up test'.

regards,
-Hari Kodungallur

Re: Question on Subversion Functionality

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 28, 2007, at 10:40, Mark Eramo wrote:

> Thank you for the information however I am still having an issue so
> I must still be doing something wrong.
>
> To recap....
> What I have is, for example, the project *svn/project1* in
> Subversion was checked out to */home/user/project1*
>
> Now, a new folder was added in Subversion, *svn/project1/test
>
> *I have already seen that if I try to checkout *svn/project1/test
> *to */home/user/project1/test, *it sees it as 2 separate checkouts
> because in subcommander, the* test *folder shows up with a question
> mark so it does not think it is under svn control.
>
> I tried doing just an update but it does not clear the ? flag. I
> also tried just doing an update of the working copy at the folder
> level but it does not update the */home/user/project1 *folder to
> include *test.
>
> *Could it be that when I did a checkout on */home/user/project1 *I
> did not do a recursive checkout so now when I try to recursively
> add a folder, it does not do it. Maybe I am using the update
> command the wrong way.
>
> Any additional thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

If you explicitly asked for a non-recursive checkout (that is, you
did "svn checkout -N" or "svn checkout --non-recursive") then an
update would not pull in any new directories, true. You can receive
the new directory by specifying it: "svn up test". However, non-
recursive checkouts are an unusual usage and not terribly
recommended, as the non-recursive checkout feature is somewhat broken.

Let's try again.

You checked out project1. That is, you typed:

cd /home/user
svn checkout $URL/svn/project1

Now you said "a new folder was added in Subversion, *svn/project1/
test". What do you mean? Where was it added? On the same machine, in
this working copy? You used your OS function to make the directory
(as in "mkdir test")? If so, then it's expected that the directory
shows up with a "?" indicating that it is not versioned. If you would
like to add "test" to the repository, do "svn add test" and then "svn
commit -m 'adding test directory'".

Or are you saying that on another machine, "test" was made, added and
committed to the repository? If so, then on this machine, "svn
update" will pull it down from the repository server and update your
working copy. If it does not, then your working copy seems to be
broken. Try checking out a new working copy:

cd /home/user
mv project1 project1-broken
svn checkout $URL/svn/project1

Do you now have the test directory? If it's in the repository, you
should.

Re: Question on Subversion Functionality

Posted by Mark Eramo <ma...@trustvesta.com>.

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.