Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/08 23:56:37 UTC

upcoming Board Report -- July 17

Hi all--

We have an upcoming Board Report due on July 17.  Andrea started a
preliminary wiki page for it at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2013+Jul

Please feel free to contribute and/or correct changes I just made. :}

MzK

"Every day we should hear at least one little song,
 read one good poem, see one exquisite picture,
 and, if possible, speak a few sensible words."
                             -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: upcoming Board Report -- July 17

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 10 July 2013 02:28, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> platforms and in dozens of languages.
>
> Issues for Board Awareness
> ---------------------------
>
> OpenOffice, like the ASF as a whole, is hit by the announced policy
> change of Apache Extras. The project currently stores several libraries
> there, in an area known as ooo-extras, and the build process downloads
> them when options like --enable-category-b are used. A solution should
> be found at the ASF level.
>
> Community Development/Outreach Progress
> ------------------------------**---------
>
> The project added 4 committers (May: dwhytock, akerbeltz, vkadal;
> July: pmralbuquerque) and one new PMC member (April: jani) since our
> last report in April.
>
> These new committers are primarily involved in the translation efforts
> to incorporate additional native language capability into Apache
> OpenOffice. Our new PMC member has many years of experience in open
> source, and is assisting in administration of our LAMP servers.
>
> A new documentation effort for an end-users manual under the ALv2
> licence was started on the OpenOffice Wiki and is progressing well.
>
> OpenOffice is participating in the Google Summer of Code program for
> the first time after several years.
>
> Community support forums remain popular with users. The mailing lists
> for user support, localization, QA and marketing are quite active. As
> Apache OpenOffice is a client product, we continue to investigate ways
> to direct users to appropriate support venues. The developer list,
> ooo-dev, remains very active.
>
> Product/Project Development Progress
> ------------------------------**------
>
> We will be releasing Apache OpenOffice 4.0 in July, likely the week
> of July 15.
>
> This release will feature a new, more modern, user interface, a
> reworked directory layout to simplify development and installation,
> code updates to allow building on newer platforms and (at least) 23
> languages.
>
> In preparation for the upcoming 4.0 release, new rebranding was
> undertaken with a public call and survey resulting in the adoption of a
> new logo and other graphic elements ready for the release. Many of our
> new volunteers were instrumental in this process.
>
> Activities that are already ongoing and will be finalized after the
> release date include: the rejuvenate01 branch, to explore using native
> platform capabilities and libraries for building rather than
> downloading for building as has been done in the past; the IA2
> accessibility work; actions for an easier installation and availability
> on mainstream Linux distributions; a new localization process, that so
> far has seen the source tree cleaned of non en-US messages allowing
> normal translation of these parts; a build approach that is
> progressively dropping the historical dmake in favor of GNU make.
>
> Taking these kind of development steps will result in both a better
> product for end users and simplify development and building for new

done copied one-to-one.

rgds
jan I.

Re: upcoming Board Report -- July 17

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 July 2013 23:56, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> We have an upcoming Board Report due on July 17.  Andrea started a
> preliminary wiki page for it at:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2013+Jul
>
> Please feel free to contribute and/or correct changes I just made. :}

Hi