Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/07/05 21:56:56 UTC

You, too, can contribute content to the Derby web site!

I've noticed other Apache development lists begging for web site
content, so thought I'd give a shot at it as well.

Lots of people on this list have a wealth of knowledge about Derby.
There are many ways for you to contribute your knowledge for others to
enjoy on the web site -- and you don't have to know forrest to
contribute.  (On the other hand, if you *do* know forrest, you are very
much welcome to help out on the forrest side of things because Derby has
a serious shortage of people for that.)

This post lists several ways to contribute, varying from easiest to most
effort. Whenever a new/modified file or patch is involved, the best way
to contribute it is to open a Jira issue with a component of "Web Site"
and the type set to "Task". You can also post it to derby-dev, but it
might get buried by list traffic.

Easiest
========
Add a Q&A to the Derby FAQ via

A million thanks to Stan Bradbury and Sunitha Kambhampati who have
contributed to the FAQs at http://incubator.apache.org/derby/faq.html.
Mamta Satoor and Myrna van Lunteren have also contributed to the FAQs.

Easier
======
Contribute your paper in the format of your choice with no intent to
integrate it with the web site (i.e., no web site navigation menus or
decoration).

A million thanks to:

  - Emmanuel Cecchet: PDF/SXW doc on how to use C-JDBC with Derby
  - Sunitha Kambhampati: HTML doc on how to run DOTS with Derby
  - Ramandeep Kaur: PDF writeups on how to integrate JOnAS and Derby,
    DOTS and Derby system tests, and EMMA and Derby code coverage
  - Jack Klebanoff: HTML writeup on Intersect & Except Design

Slightly more difficult
=========================
Contribute your HTML paper in a format forrest can consume and integrate
into the web site.

A million thanks to Dan Debrunner for the To Do list and the JDBC
Implementation Notes (and probably some of the other "seed" docs as well).

More effort (paper in forrest xml format)
Contribute your contribution in forrest xml format.

A million thanks to:

  - Dibyendu Majumdar: Derby engine writeups on optimizer design,
logging & recovery, on disk page format, log format, and versioning.
  - Stan Bradbury: iBATIS JPetStore integration
  - Susan Cline: logo contest updates and eclipse plugin.

Most effort (forrest patch or direct updates to forrest source)
A million thanks to:

   - Andrew McIntyre for his updates of release information
   - Susan Cline for her forrest patch that added info about the new
eclipse plug-ins

My apologies if I missed thanking anyone. And if I did miss you please
let me know so I can thank you in future posts.

Info about adding to the web site is here:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/index.html#How+to+Contribute+Papers
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html

When I free up some time, I'll try to tidy up this information and make
it more useful. I'll also add instructions on how to create a forrest patch.

regards,

  -jean