Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Olaf Flebbe <ap...@fleb.be> on 2016/04/12 18:08:06 UTC

[DISCUSS]: Bigtop FAQ

Hi,

While trying to clean up old tickets I stumbled upon the bigtop FAQ.

------------
Does BigTop patches source releases?
BigTop does NOT patch any source release and does NOT have any mechanism to deal with anything else than bare source and pristine releases. NO patches will be applied. NOT even for build or security issues.
-----------

This is not true any more (and I am the one who formally introduced patches ;-)

We have 8 build related patches,  1 security patch and a few fixes for broken functionality in zookeeper.

Is it consensus to change this paragraph to something like:

------------
Does BigTop patches source releases?

The Bigtop Vision is to compile vanilla source packages. It contains configurations in order to create a consistent use of for instance hadoop versions. For packages where this is not possible configuration-wise minimal fixes to the pristine source releases are applied.

Bigtop may contain other patches for build and security issues at a bare minimum: These patches are pulled from yet unreleased upstream sources and will be removed at the next upstream release of the source.

Bigtop may change maven config files in order to increase reproduceability

Olaf

Re: [DISCUSS]: Bigtop FAQ

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Good idea to publish it somewhere highly visible. These questions are coming
back as a clock-work, better to answer them once and for all. Besides, I am
sure we can think of more FAQ topics later on.

Cos

Re: [DISCUSS]: Bigtop FAQ

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.