Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Vasudeva, Rajaram" <RV...@arrakisplanet.com> on 2000/07/13 23:33:25 UTC

Cocoon LDAP Processor - what are the limitations?

Hi ,
	Can anyone tell me whether we can do update operation on the
directory through cocoon ldap processor? The sample I gues talks about the
querying. What are the limitations of the current version of LDAP processor?
Can we do the interrogation, update and authentication operations through
Cocoon ldap?
	Please do send me some samples, if anyone has done this. I am new to
LDAP. I was able to do some basic querying the LDAP server using the sample
files provided.

Thanks,
Rajaram.

==================
Notice to recipient: This communication is for the sole use of the intended
recipient of the transmission and may be privileged and confidential.  Any
use, distribution, or duplication by anyone other than the addressee is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and please delete this message from your system.  The message
is not intended as an offer or solicitation for purchase or sale of any
financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction,
unless specifically agreed otherwise.  All market prices, data and other
information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject
to change without notice.  Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of Arrakis, a division of J.P. Morgan Advisory
Services, Inc., its subsidiaries or affiliates.

Re: Cocoon LDAP Processor - what are the limitations?

Posted by Alain Ketterlin <al...@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>.
Vasudeva, Rajaram (13 Jul) writes:

> Can anyone tell me whether we can do update operation on the
> directory through cocoon ldap processor?

No, you can only send queries. Adding more capabilities (like
updating) would require authentication.

> What are the limitations of the current version of LDAP processor?

There are a few limitations even with queries: the only parameters are
the search base-dn and the seach filter. There's no way to specify
scope and alias-dereferencing. (Which means that the sample provided
in samples/ldap/ is quite complete.)

-- Alain.

Re: Cocoon LDAP Processor - what are the limitations?

Posted by Markus Goerg <ma...@danet.de>.

"Vasudeva, Rajaram" schrieb:

> Hi ,
>         Can anyone tell me whether we can do update operation on the
> directory through cocoon ldap processor? The sample I gues talks about
> the querying. What are the limitations of the current version of LDAP
> processor? Can we do the interrogation, update and authentication
> operations through Cocoon ldap?
>
>         Please do send me some samples, if anyone has done this. I am
> new to LDAP. I was able to do some basic querying the LDAP server
> using the sample files provided.

That's what I did as well. Works for Netscape Directory Server. With
Microsoft Site Server one have to use version 2 of the ldap protocol -
because v3 simply does not work for whatever reason. One have to patch
"LdapContextCreator.java" to switch to v2 - or wait for a parameter to
set the ldap version :-)
This is true at least for Sun's ldap service provider - did not use any
other so far.

--
Markus Görg,
Danet, GS-TA