Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2014/02/14 21:53:04 UTC

[RELEASE][DISCUSS] How to download AOO 4.1.0 Beta?

As this is our first beta release at Apache, I would like to clarify
some things before it's maybe too late to change the facts and to
prepare webpages:

1. Target group

It is intended to be downloaded for the general public, right?

2. Hosting

We are planning to host the files at Sourceforge, right?

3. File names:

Of course the file names of the install files have to show a difference
compared to the general release files. Suggestion:

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta_Win_x86_install.exe

*If* there is a need to publish another round, it could be extended with
a number like:

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta2_Win_x86_install.exe

4. Directory structure:

Is it OK to expect to use the same dir structure like we have currently
for 4.0.1?

5. Download webpage:

Is it OK to expect to offer the download on our main download webpage?
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

If yes, I can build up a download offer like we have for the green box.
To ease the download as best as possible.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE][DISCUSS] How to download AOO 4.1.0 Beta?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/07/2014 01:06 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> On 3/6/14 11:01 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> an overview of the Beta files can found under
>>> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/test/4.1.0-beta_files.txt
>>>
>>> IT is not yet 100% complete because the Linux upload is still ongoing. I
>>> will update it asap
>>
>> Thanks a lot :-) I will look for the missing files.
>
> the file is updated and should contain now a listing of all files

Thanks again.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/14 11:01 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 03/06/2014 01:19 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:

>>> I said that I would like to use the bits that comes out of the build
>>> process directly without any further touching.

>>> I know that but every extra step in the release phase that is not
>>> necessary shoudl be avoided. Changing the download script should be
>>> trivial as well.
>>>
>>> Nobody can say if we really will work on this cleanup and time for it.
>>> That means tweak the existing process to the names the build produce and
>>> not introduce a further step.

>>> again, point us to the relevant scripts or better to the place where I
>>> can find instructions to do that for cases where you are not available.
>>
>> an overview of the Beta files can found under
>> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/test/4.1.0-beta_files.txt
>>
>> IT is not yet 100% complete because the Linux upload is still ongoing. I
>> will update it asap
>
> Thanks a lot :-) I will look for the missing files.

the file is updated and should contain now a listing of all files

Juergen

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/06/2014 09:20 AM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> On 3/5/14 10:46 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> no and I am not in favor or changing the names. I would like to use the
>>> names as they came out of the build.
>>>
>>> Please point me to the scripts that build the name for the download. It
>>> should be easy to put the beta string in the correct position.
>>
>> You want to edit the download scripting but not doing a 1 minute file
>> renaming? Hm ;-)
>
> I said that I would like to use the bits that comes out of the build
> process directly without any further touching.
>

>>> We have already said why the naming scheme is different and that it
>>> requires more time to analyze and tweak the build process for a proper
>>> naming. We hope that we can cleanup and improve this for the next
>>> release.
>>
>> I have not asked to change the names in the build system but what comes
>> out of it.
>
> I know that but every extra step in the release phase that is not
> necessary shoudl be avoided. Changing the download script should be
> trivial as well.
>
> Nobody can say if we really will work on this cleanup and time for it.
> That means tweak the existing process to the names the build produce and
> not introduce a further step.
>

>>> But for now I would like to avoid any extra step and the change in the
>>> download script is one place. Otherwise I have to change several places
>>> where I automate some pre-release steps.
>>
>> So, it seems you or me have to change something in order to get working
>> download.
>>
>> OK, don't worry I'll take care of it.
>
> again, point us to the relevant scripts or better to the place where I
> can find instructions to do that for cases where you are not available.

I said already I'll take care of it and I will be available on Monday. ;-)

Of course it is not that difficult to adapt the scripting to the new
naming schema. However, we will then have 2 schemas and needs to
differenciate between 4.0.1 and 4.1.0. I've nearly finished the work.

If you want to have a look, it's the download.js and download_other.js
files. But I've not yet committed the changes.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/14/2014 10:31 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> As this is our first beta release at Apache, I would like to clarify some
>> things before it's maybe too late to change the facts and to prepare
>> webpages:
>>
>> 1. Target group
>>
>> It is intended to be downloaded for the general public, right?
>>

> yes, I think it needs to go a vote process as we've previously discussed.
> I'd need to look up the discussion on this.
>

>> 2. Hosting
>>
>> We are planning to host the files at Sourceforge, right?
>>
>> 3. File names:
>>
>> Of course the file names of the install files have to show a difference
>> compared to the general release files. Suggestion:
>>
>> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta_Win_x86_install.exe
>>
>> *If* there is a need to publish another round, it could be extended with a
>> number like:
>>
>> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta2_Win_x86_install.exe
>>

> Good point...
>

>> 4. Directory structure:
>>
>> Is it OK to expect to use the same dir structure like we have currently
>> for 4.0.1?
>>
>> 5. Download webpage:
>>
>> Is it OK to expect to offer the download on our main download webpage?
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
>>
>> If yes, I can build up a download offer like we have for the green box. To
>> ease the download as best as possible.
>>

> Maybe it would be better to have a separate "beta" page, or "beta" area on
> the download page like the former OOo site had  for developer releases?

Indeed I thought about to put it somewhere below the green box. Of
course with different color and text. But a separate webpage is also OK.
Let's see what the majority of us thinks.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> As this is our first beta release at Apache, I would like to clarify some
> things before it's maybe too late to change the facts and to prepare
> webpages:
>
> 1. Target group
>
> It is intended to be downloaded for the general public, right?

yes, I think it needs to go a vote process as we've previously discussed.
I'd need to look up the discussion on this.

> 2. Hosting
>
> We are planning to host the files at Sourceforge, right?
>
> 3. File names:
>
> Of course the file names of the install files have to show a difference
> compared to the general release files. Suggestion:
>
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta_Win_x86_install.exe
>
> *If* there is a need to publish another round, it could be extended with a
> number like:
>
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta2_Win_x86_install.exe

Good point...

> 4. Directory structure:
>
> Is it OK to expect to use the same dir structure like we have currently
> for 4.0.1?
>
> 5. Download webpage:
>
> Is it OK to expect to offer the download on our main download webpage?
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
>
> If yes, I can build up a download offer like we have for the green box. To
> ease the download as best as possible.

Maybe it would be better to have a separate "beta" page, or "beta" area on
the download page like the former OOo site had  for developer releases?

> Thanks
>
> Marcus

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Re: [RELEASE][DISCUSS] How to download AOO 4.1.0 Beta?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/18/2014 02:05 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 02/15/2014 11:37 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>>   On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>
>>>   wrote:

>>> This looks good, and, given the wording, shouldn't cause confusion.
>>>

>> Thanks
>>

>>   - The second one is a little teaser to show when is it coming. With a link
>>>>

>>> not sure about needing this.
>>>

>> Maybe we want to push the Beta release somehow. On the download webpage
>> this could help to point the attention to something that is coming soon.
>

> Well, OK, I see your point, although the "beta" is supposed to be I just
> assumed we would use normal channels when we were ready with this -- I
> think the end of Feb is slated -- banner on website home page,
> "announcements" e-mail, social channels. Again, it will be a "voted"
> release. I think the only think that will remarkably distinguish it from a
> "production" release is it's a more formal way to get feedback from users
> before production.

That's all good. However, to have a little hint like "4.1.0 coming soon"
on the download webpage is IMHO very valueable. When I remember right
it's one of the most visited webpages on the entire AOO website.

However, it's just a suggestion. Let's see what time will request.

Marcus

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 02/14/2014 10:47 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>
>  Am 02/14/2014 10:32 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> The above makes sense to me.
>>>

>>>  5. Download webpage:

>>> I would not make this the default download option for users. We still
>>> want most users to download AOO 4.0.1. So keep the first box on
>>> /download.html as it is now.
>>>
>>> Maybe a yellow box (yellow == caution) with language that makes it
>>> clear that this is beta and gives the URL for reporting bugs.
>>>

>> I think I was not clear in my wording. :-)
>>
>> Of course the current 4.0.1 should not be effected in any way.
>>
>> With "ease the download as best as possible" I meant to do the same like
>> we have for the green box but of course with a different color and text.
>>
>>  Were you thinking of a language/platform switch logic for the beta?
>>> Or just a link to a "beta_other.html" page with a table of links? If
>>> we do the table, then we would have room on the same page to give a
>>> prominent warning, a link to BZ, Release Notes, etc.
>>>

>> I thought about the one-click-download we have already. Then of course a
>> "beta-other.html" is also needed and your suggestion makes absolutely
>> sense.
>>
>> It could be a box somewhere below the green box. Or - as Kay mentioned -
>> a separate webpage.
>>

> I've added a quick version of how it could look like on the same download
> webpage:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index.html
>
> - The first yellow box is for the download when the Beta release is
> available. Of course the links are not yet working - but with link name and
> title you should get an first impression.

This looks good, and, given the wording, shouldn't cause confusion.

> - The second one is a little teaser to show when is it coming. With a link
> to the AOO blog - in case of if we want to blog about the upcoming Beta
> release.

not sure about needing this.

Posted by Shari Lynn Smith <we...@gmail.com>.
Like this idea. Really dislike when I have to go in search of another
version.

sent with my Google phone

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 2/18/14 9:19 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 02/18/2014 08:44 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:

>>> This is currently the complete path to the AOO 4.0.1 install files,
>>> example for English US:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/binaries/en-US/
>>>

>>> There is no part included to reflect the OS and I don't know of an
>>> idea to do so. Or have I misunderstood you?
>>
>> Looks like I assumed wrong. I had the directory structure of the
>> snapshot builds in mind, which obviously differ from that of the release.
>> So we only keep in mind that the names of the Mac binaries change (not
>> sure if that is relevant).
>
> That's true. Will keep in mind.

It's nice that we talk about names and how to download but nobody took
care about the technical realization. Which entries do we have to change
to add a "Beta" string in the product name, about box, download files,
etc. in way that we can install it in parallel and that everything works
as expected. The whole process is once again not really intuitive and we
have to figure it out. Many entries with more or less the same value and
we have to check which one is used when and where ...

Juergen

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/18/2014 08:44 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
> On 17.02.2014 20:44, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> In general, yes, but please keep in mind that our Mac builds are now
>>> 64bit. I assume that the directories that contain the Mac downloads got
>>> renamed (Servers are currently down so I can not check).
>>
>> This is currently the complete path to the AOO 4.0.1 install files,
>> example for English US:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/binaries/en-US/
>>

>> There is no part included to reflect the OS and I don't know of an
>> idea to do so. Or have I misunderstood you?
>
> Looks like I assumed wrong. I had the directory structure of the
> snapshot builds in mind, which obviously differ from that of the release.
> So we only keep in mind that the names of the Mac binaries change (not
> sure if that is relevant).

That's true. Will keep in mind.

Marcus

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 17.02.2014 20:44, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 02/17/2014 09:37 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
>> On 14.02.2014 22:32, Rob Weir wrote:

>> In general, yes, but please keep in mind that our Mac builds are now
>> 64bit. I assume that the directories that contain the Mac downloads got
>> renamed (Servers are currently down so I can not check).
>
> This is currently the complete path to the AOO 4.0.1 install files,
> example for English US:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/binaries/en-US/
>

> There is no part included to reflect the OS and I don't know of an
> idea to do so. Or have I misunderstood you?

Looks like I assumed wrong.  I had the directory structure of the
snapshot builds in mind, which obviously differ from that of the release.
So we only keep in mind that the names of the Mac binaries change (not
sure if that is relevant).

-Andre

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> As this is our first beta release at Apache, I would like to clarify some
> things before it's maybe too late to change the facts and to prepare
> webpages:
>
> 1. Target group
>
> It is intended to be downloaded for the general public, right?
>
> 2. Hosting
>
> We are planning to host the files at Sourceforge, right?
>
> 3. File names:
>
> Of course the file names of the install files have to show a difference
> compared to the general release files. Suggestion:
>
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta_Win_x86_install.exe
>
> *If* there is a need to publish another round, it could be extended with a
> number like:
>
> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Beta2_Win_x86_install.exe
>
> 4. Directory structure:
>
> Is it OK to expect to use the same dir structure like we have currently for
> 4.0.1?

The above makes sense to me.