Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in> on 2016/08/11 15:00:15 UTC

Public Interface Failure in Multiple DC setup

Hi,

Setup: Cassandra 2.0.14 with PropertyFileSnitch. 2 Data Centers.
Every node has broadcast address= Public IP (bond0) & listen address=Private IP (bond1).

As per DataStax docs,
(https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/configuration/configMultiNetworks.html),

"For intra-network or region traffic, Cassandra switches to the private IP after establishing a connection".

This means that even for traffic within a DC, Cassandra would contact a node by Broadcast Address i.e. Public IP and then switch to Private IP.

Query:

If we shut down bond0 (public interface) on a node:

1. Will read/write requests from coordinators in local DC be routed to the node on listen address/private IP/bond1 or will it be treated as DOWN ?

2. Will gossip be able to discover the node. If the node is using its private interface (bond1) to send Gossip messages to other nodes on public/broadcast address, will other nodes in local and remote DC see the node (with bond0 down) as UP?

I am aware that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9748 is an open issue in 2.0.14.
But even in later releases, I am interested in the behavior when public interface is down and PropertyFileSnitch is used.

Thanks
Anuj