Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Marchant, Hayden " <ha...@citi.com> on 2017/09/05 13:26:20 UTC

Shuffling between map and keyBy operator

I have a streaming application that has a keyBy operator followed by an operator working on the keyed values (a custom sum operator). If the map operator and aggregate operator are running on same Task Manager , will Flink always serialize and deserialize the tuples, or is there an optimization in this case due to 'locality'?

(I was planning on deploying my Flink Streaming application to a single 'big' node in the hope that I can reduce latency by saving on both network and serde.)

Thanks,
Hayden Marchant

Re: Shuffling between map and keyBy operator

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marchant,

I'm afraid that the serde cost still exists even if both operators run in
same TaskManager.

Best,
Kurt