Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Chum <jc...@aismedia.com> on 2005/03/04 18:41:00 UTC

Removing .SVN administrative folders within a working copy

It could be a process that I'm doing wrong, but maybe not... I start with a
directory that generally is a skeleton directory I use before the buildout
of any development projects. Many times, I get right down and begin coding
that the end of the day, I realized I've not imported or created a project
folder in the SVN repos.

So I do an import. Now that my files are in there, I move the folder out of
the way on my local machine (rename it folder.OLD) and export a working copy
to my local machine. Now I have a folder.OLD just in case. I tried to export
the working copy ontop of my original files, but it doesn't allow me to. I
just want to be sure all of the files are in the repository before I delete
it.

While I'm using it as a my working copy, I'm also testing the site via
production server so I'm using Dreamweaver to FTP the entire site over. The
problem is that it carries over the .SVN folders too. Likely a limitaiton of
Dreamweaver to skip it, but now there's huge amount of data resulting on the
server. If anyone uses Dreamweaver and knows a work around, let me know.

I was wondering if there is a way to recusrively remove all .SVN folders
without doing an export. One of them problems I have is that design team
don't use SVN and are uploading new files. I'd rather just download their
changes to my local working copy and commit their changes for them as
backup.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be helpful.

Jonathan Chum
Systems Developer

AIS Media, Inc. - "We Build eBusinesses"
7000 Central Parkway, Suite #1700
Atlanta, GA 30328
Tel: 770.350.7998 ext. 505 / Fax: 770.350.9409
 <http://www.aismedia.com/> http://www.aismedia.com /
<ma...@aismedia.com> jchum@aismedia.com

Re: Removing .SVN administrative folders within a working copy

Posted by Helge Jensen <he...@slog.dk>.
> ... or yet another alternative which will safe you one pipe and one process:
>
> find . -type d -name .svn -exec rm -rf "{}" \;

Last i tried it find executed the command in -exec once for every match,
so this would save one pipe and cost (roughly) N-2 forks with rm,
compared to the "find PRED -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf" solution.

You can check my assumption by doing:

   find PRED -exec echo \;

vs.

   find PRED -print0 | xargs -0 echo

--
Helge

Re: Removing .SVN administrative folders within a working copy

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de>.
On Sunday 06 March 2005 04:21, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On 05.03.2005, at 18:36, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > On March 4, 2005 13:41, Jonathan Chum wrote:
> >> I was wondering if there is a way to recusrively remove all .SVN
> >> folders
> >> without doing an export.
> >
> > rm -rf `find . -type d -name .svn`
>
> Doesn't work so well when you have spaces anywhere in your paths.
> Better:
>
> find . -type d -name .svn -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

... or yet another alternative which will safe you one pipe and one process:

find . -type d -name .svn -exec rm -rf "{}" \;

:-)
C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko
Systemspezialist

Re: Removing .SVN administrative folders within a working copy

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Simon Perreault <no...@nomis80.org>.
On March 4, 2005 13:41, Jonathan Chum wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to recusrively remove all .SVN folders
> without doing an export.

rm -rf `find . -type d -name .svn`

--
Simon Perreault <no...@nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org