Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org> on 2006/12/08 22:38:07 UTC

VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 08:13 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > WildcardHelper is now no longer used in 2.1.  Should we remove it
> > together with WildcardHelperTestCase?
> >
> > That breaks private Cocoon components which may still use it but IMHO
> > that is better than just giving a depracation warning.  ("Friends don't
> > let friends use broken WildcardHelper.")
> >
> > WildcardMatcherHelper is not a drop-in replacement of WildcardHelper but
> > easy enough to use.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> Hmm, yes, this seems logical - on the other hand there might be people
> relying on the bugs in the code :)
>
> I think you should start a vote on this and hopefully we get the buggy
> code out of 2.1.10.
>
> Carsten

Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.

Please cast your votes.

Cheers, Alfred.

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Alfred Nathaniel wrote:
> Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.

+1

Vadim

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Alfred Nathaniel wrote:
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Cheers, Alfred.
>

> Here we go: I propose to delete the obsolete
+0
Ralph

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 12/8/06, Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.

+1

-Bertrand

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 08.12.2006 22:38, Alfred Nathaniel wrote:
> I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java
> and the related test case.

+1

Jörg

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Alfred Nathaniel escribió:
> Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.
>
> Please cast your votes.

+1

Please new time start a vote in a new thread. :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Dec 8, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Alfred Nathaniel wrote:

> Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/
> WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.
>
> Please cast your votes.

+1

(non-binding, if that matters for this vote :-)

WildcardHelper is not part of a published API, so IMHO anyone that
depends on it knows that they do so at their own risk.  Alfred says
it's easy to switch to WildcardMatcherHelper, and if it were really
true that someone out there is actually relying on bugs of
WildcardMatcher,  they could always exhume the source code and copy it
to their own package, and keep using it that way.

cheers,
—ml—

Re: VOTE: delete WildcardHelper from 2.1.x (was [2.1.10] WildcardHelperTestCase fails)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Alfred Nathaniel wrote:

> Here we go:  I propose to delete the obsolete
> BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/helpers/WildcardHelper.java and the related test case.
>
> Please cast your votes.

+1

Carsten

--