Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Al...@reuters.com on 2002/10/15 22:17:36 UTC

Outlook Express cannot get mail from JAMES

Hi,

I am using JAMES v2.0a3 and MS Outlook Express 5..

I have configured both Outlook Express and JAMES on my local machine.  When Outlook tries to receive mail from JAMES, it asks me for username and password.  I am using root/root as I have not changed any of the configuration files in JAMES.  I got the following error message from Outlook:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Apache Mail Server', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Authentication failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I know JAMES is working fine as it writes mail in the proper incoming folders, though I cannot get such email in Outlook Express as I am not sure what userid/pasword I should use in Outlook to connect to JAMES.

Your help is appreciated.

                    "Noel J.
                    Bergman"            To:      James Users List <ja...@jakarta.apache.org>
                    <noel@devtech       cc:
                    .com>               Subject:      RE: Getting mail in outlook client from JAMES

                    10/15/2002          Header:                                Internal Use Only
                    12:13 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    James Users
                    List

> I installed JAMES on my PC to have a local mail server for demo purposes.

Which version of James?  :-)  This is the first thing that you should ever
say.  :-)

> I created user alex/alex on JAMES.

OK so far.

> JAMES is getting messages fine using M$ ftp and outlook.

FTP??

> The messages are properly written in the mail/inboxes/ALEX directory.

OK, sounds like the right place, using the default file: repositories.

> What I am able to do is to make JAMES send the message back to Outlook
client

Able or UNABLE?  If the later, please take a look in the pop3server.log,
which should contain the entire discussion between James and Outlook.

           --- Noel