Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/22 17:02:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Please review and vote on releasing the alpha1 release of the Tuscany
Zip plugin module.

The zip plugin enables using a packaging of zip in a Maven project
pom.xml to create a zip format SCA contribution.

The tag for the release is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/maven-plugins/tags/maven-zip-plugin-alpha1//

the Maven staging repository is:
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/maven-zip-plugin-alpha1-RC1/

Thanks in advance for the votes,

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I'm in the same situation too. Can you use the following example to explain
what the zip plugin does?

Say, I have developed an SCA composite application: distributed calculator.
The application is packaged as two jars:
* The calculator
* The operations

Is the zip plugin there to zip two jars into a zip file as an SCA
contribution? What would the configuration for the plugin look like? Knowing
the input and output for the plugin will give me enough information to test
and vote.

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Mike Edwards
<mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>            </dependency>
>
>  <!--  JUNIT DEPENDENCY FOR TESTING -->
>  <dependency>
>   <groupId>junit</groupId>
>   <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
>   <version>3.8.2</version>
>   <scope>test</scope>
>  </dependency>
>
>  </dependencies>
>  <build>
>            <defaultGoal>install</defaultGoal>
>            <finalName>${artifactId}</finalName>
>  <resources>
>   <resource>
>    <directory>src/main/resources</directory>
>   </resource>
>   <resource>
>    <directory>src/main/java</directory>
>    <includes>
>     <include>**</include>
>    </includes>
>    <excludes>
>     <exclude>**/*.java</exclude>
>    </excludes>
>   </resource>
>  </resources>
>  <testResources>
>   <testResource>
>    <directory>src/test/java</directory>
>    <includes>
>     <include>**</include>
>    </includes>
>    <excludes>
>     <exclude>**/*.java</exclude>
>    </excludes>
>   </testResource>
>  </testResources>
>  <plugins>
>   <plugin>
>    <inherited>true</inherited>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>     <source>1.5</source>
>     <target>1.5</target>
>     <optimise>true</optimise>
>     <debug>true</debug>
>    </configuration>
>   </plugin>
>   <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>     <downloadSources>true</downloadSources>
>    </configuration>
>   </plugin>
>   <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-zip-plugin</artifactId>
>                        <extensions>true</extensions>
>   </plugin>
>   <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-tuscany-plugin</artifactId>
>   </plugin>
>  </plugins>
>  </build>
>  <properties>
>  <tuscany.version>2.0-SNAPSHOT</tuscany.version>
>  </properties>
>  </project>
>

> TODOs:
> - make the "lib/" folder where the dependent jars go configurable
> - make which dependencies get included configurable
>  (currently its those with compile or runtime scope)

Thanks for the great doc update Mike, I've added that to SVN and re
done the release to include the update, see the new vote thread -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tuscany-dev/200904.mbox/%3C71e1b5740904280141j3c60d2f4gb3f1085d58fb9f0e@mail.gmail.com%3E

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I have integrated the changes under r770316, including the update to the zip
archetype.

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

3) Use mvn archetype:generate to generate a project from the archetype

4) Run mvn assembly:assembly to produce the zip (This can be automated into
the default build)

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Mike Edwards wrote:
> Ant,
>
> I'd prefer to see a bit more user documentation first.
>
> I'm unclear as to what exactly it does and how to run it properly.
> That's why I'm not voting for it. (note that I have not voted against
> it either...)
>
> Yours, Mike.

First, I'd like to make it clear that I'm NOT picking on this release - but I am keen to see more
and better end user documentation for everything we have in Tuscany.  So expect me to be more picky
with any release of anything.

As a first step for THIS release, here is a suggested improvement to the documentation which I hope
will make it clearer to users what it is for and how it is used.

Yours,  Mike.

User Documentation
__________________

This module is a Maven plugin which supports the creation of a zip format SCA contribution from
the contents of a Maven project. An SCA contribution can be deployed to the Tuscany SCA runtime
and run as an application.

One of the main uses for an SCA zip contribution is that the SCA zip contribution can contain
Java jar files within the zip and those jar files are available to the Java classloader of the
contribution.  This enables the packaging of application Java classes along with any other Jar files
which they depend on in one contribution file. As a result the single zip file can hold everything
that's needed for the SCA application other than the Tuscany runtime itself - in one neat package.

The zip Maven plugin is used by adding a section into <build/> portion of the pom.xml of the Maven
project which relates to the maven zip plugin.  It is also necessary for the packaging of the output
of the project to be declared as "zip".  Then run Maven in the project.

This zip plugin builds the output of the project as an SCA zip archive and it includes any
jar files from dependencies declared by the project, where those dependency jar files are placed
into the zip archive in a folder with the name "lib".

An outline of a pom.xml including the zip plugin statements:

    <!-- output packaging format is "zip" -->
    <packaging>zip</packaging>
    <build>
       <!-- section referencing the Tuscany zip plugin -->
       <plugins>
          <plugin>
             <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.maven.plugins</groupId>
             <artifactId>maven-zip-plugin</artifactId>
             <extensions>true</extensions>
          </plugin>
       </plugins>
    </build>

Here is an example pom.xml containing the Tuscany zip plugin material:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

Thanks for the clarification, I believe we follow this process for all kind
of artifacts.
My question was specifically about how to verify the functionality of this
plugin by using them,
I think the README has some information on that now.

+1 from me, I just checked the LICENSE and the artifact signings as required
for this release.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> As an aside. It seems that this is heavily based on some other Apache
> code. WAR plugin? Can we doff our hats in the README to show our
> appreciation to the original authors?

Sure ok i'll add that now, it does already say this in the code (eg
comment at the top of [1]) but you're right it would be good to have
it in the README too.

   ...ant

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/maven-plugins/trunk/maven-zip-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/maven/zip/ZipMojo.java

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please review and vote on releasing the alpha1 release of the Tuscany
>> Zip plugin module.
>>
>> The zip plugin enables using a packaging of zip in a Maven project
>> pom.xml to create a zip format SCA contribution.
>>
>> The tag for the release is:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/maven-plugins/tags/maven-zip-plugin-alpha1//
>>
>> the Maven staging repository is:
>> http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/maven-zip-plugin-alpha1-RC1/
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the votes,
>>
>>   ...ant
>
> +1 from me of course, would a couple of others be able to have a look? Its
> very small so should only take moments to review.
>
>    ...ant

+1 from me.

As an aside. It seems that this is heavily based on some other Apache
code. WAR plugin? Can we doff our hats in the README to show our
appreciation to the original authors?

Regards

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Zip Plugin alpha1

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.