Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2018/08/31 18:23:09 UTC

[discuss] replacing SPIP template with Heilmeier's Catechism?

I helped craft the current SPIP template
<https://spark.apache.org/improvement-proposals.html> last year. I was
recently (re-)introduced to the Heilmeier Catechism, a set of questions
DARPA developed to evaluate proposals. The set of questions are:

- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no
jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What is new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares? If you are successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the mid-term and final “exams” to check for success?

When I read the above list, it resonates really well because they are
almost always the same set of questions I ask myself and others before I
decide whether something is worth doing. In some ways, our SPIP template
tries to capture some of these (e.g. target persona), but are not as
explicit and well articulated.

What do people think about replacing the current SPIP template with the
above?

At a high level, I think the Heilmeier's Catechism emphasizes less about
the "how", and more the "why" and "what", which is what I'd argue SPIPs
should be about. The hows should be left in design docs for larger projects.

Re: [discuss] replacing SPIP template with Heilmeier's Catechism?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.
Looks good. From the existing template at
https://spark.apache.org/improvement-proposals.html I might keep points
about design sketch, API, and non goals. And we don't need a cost section.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
I like this as well. Regarding “cost”, I think the equivalent concept for us is impact on the rest of the project (say maintenance cost down the line or whatever). This could be captured in the “risks” too, but it’s a slightly different concept. We should probably just clarify what we mean with each question.

Matei

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
+1 to Sean's comment

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
I incorporated the feedbacks here and updated the SPIP page:
https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/156

The new version is live now:

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1