Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/10 04:28:15 UTC

Delete/deprecate HighlightingUtils?

Core request handlers do not use this, favouring the new, almost-
identical code in the highlighting package.  Deprecate or delete?  It
is rather simple to upgrade code using this to the new regime.

-Mike

Re: Delete/deprecate HighlightingUtils?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Since it is advanced not really public API stuff, it seems a bit cleaner to
: just delete.
:
: Adding another to the TON of deprecated classes seems OK too...

if we want to follow hte precendent set by Lucene-Java, code that compiles
against X.Y needs to be able to compile against X.Y+N ... so in theory
if/when we delete any classes previously avaiable to people writing custom
plugins, we have to bump the major version number.

i'm not sure we have to be such a stickler about it since the plugin
writting community is a smaller subset of the total community (unlike
lucene-java where the community of people compiling against the release is
the entire community) but it would still be nice if there was at least one
official release with a piece of deprecated before the first release where
the code was completely removed.

...of course, now that we are actually starting to have our third
release, and deprecate more code and remove older deprecated code we
should probably write down what exactly our policy is.

-Hoss

Re: Delete/deprecate HighlightingUtils?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Mike Klaas wrote:
> Core request handlers do not use this, favouring the new,
> almost-identical code in the highlighting package.  Deprecate or
> delete?  It is rather simple to upgrade code using this to the new regime.

Either way is fine by me.