Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <to...@sucfin.com> on 2010/01/06 10:45:51 UTC

Namespace Considerations (Was: RE: Apache River Release)

Hi Greg,

In regards to;

"I hope there's no intention of changing the net.jini.** package
namespaces to org.apache.**."

I was under the impression that it /was/ the intention to change all the
Jini/River code to be under the org.apache namespace.  I also thought
that doing so was a requirement for the eventual promotion of River out
of the incubator.

I know that this would break third party code (my own included) but I
personally feel that it's a desirable step that should be taken.

Am I rehashing an old discussion here that has already been decided?

Cheers,

Tom

Posted by Tom Hobbs <to...@sucfin.com>.
Thanks guys, I stand corrected.

Cheers.

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
There's no rule that 100% of the code in Apache projects must be in
the org.apache name space.

But the exceptions to date have been few. Those that I'm aware of are
in the javax name space that is mandated by external specifications.
For example, the Geronimo project ships code in the javax.ejb name
space, and the JDO project ships code in the javax.jdo name space.

I don't know whether net.jini falls into the category of "external
specifications" that would justify preserving the name space.

Cheers,

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com