Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Bob Swanson <rd...@swansongrp.com> on 2012/08/10 05:01:25 UTC

Larger PDF file with 1.7.1

I am delighted with the latest version
1.7.1. It fixes a couple of nagging problems
I have had to deal with for a while.

Unfortunately, there is a side-effect that
I'm trying to run down (no luck yet). I'm
programmatically creating a large PDF
book from text and images. The current
output when using 1.6.0 and 1.7.0 is about
38 meg. With 1.7.1, the size has ballooned to
108 meg (!) without any programming changes.

I've tried a few little tests (text only, text and
images, etc), and do not see the larger output
size. I will continue to create test cases to try
to reproduce the issue. My current authoring
system is much too complex to hand over as
a test case.

In the meantime, I'll ask the question: has anyone
experienced much larger PDF output files with 1.7.1?

Bob Swanson

Re: Larger PDF file with 1.7.1

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 10.08.2012 05:01, schrieb Bob Swanson:
> I am delighted with the latest version
> 1.7.1. It fixes a couple of nagging problems
> I have had to deal with for a while.
>
> Unfortunately, there is a side-effect that
> I'm trying to run down (no luck yet). I'm
> programmatically creating a large PDF
> book from text and images. The current
> output when using 1.6.0 and 1.7.0 is about
> 38 meg. With 1.7.1, the size has ballooned to
> 108 meg (!) without any programming changes.
Do you get different sizes when creating a smaller pdf just containing a couple
of pages? Can you share the pdf with us?

> I've tried a few little tests (text only, text and
> images, etc), and do not see the larger output
> size. I will continue to create test cases to try
> to reproduce the issue. My current authoring
> system is much too complex to hand over as
> a test case.
There are a couple of possible reasons, a non/wrong working filter, an issue
with multiplied resources ....

> In the meantime, I'll ask the question: has anyone
> experienced much larger PDF output files with 1.7.1?
No, not yet.

> Bob Swanson

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler