Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by zouqiong <us...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 03:45:55 UTC

some question about drlvm

does drlvm support for swing classlib?

when I run Java2Demo.jar which is compiled with jdk, some error comes:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/JPanel
        at java.lang.VMClassRegistry.defineClass()
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass()
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass()
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClassImpl()
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$4.run()
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivilegedImpl()
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged()
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass()
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass()
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$SubURLClassLoader.loadClass()
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.swing.JPanel
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass()
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass()
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$SubURLClassLoader.loadClass()
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass()
        at java.lang.VMClassRegistry.defineClass()

how can i solve the problem?  Thanks a lot.

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, zouqiong <us...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Sir,
>      I am afraid, i can`t attach the java application with gmail,  maybe
> it`s too large??
> Its size is 24M,  within the 1G of gmail, isn`t it?

Did you try to compress this file, say, with help of zip?

     Is there other ways i can attach  my jar files?

Fine if you will be able to create a small test to reproduce your issue.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi, that's OK, thank you to clarify this in time. I agree with Tim that
we prefer a link instead of attaching it to JIRA. And for those who are
not expert of Chinese, I found EIOffice's official site[1], which has
english version, and EIOffice's beta version can be download by free
with usage time limitation, so I guess it should be fine to us for test
purpose.

[1] http://www.evermoresw.com/weben/index.jsp

zouqiong wrote:
> I am afraid that i made a mistake, that the application
> itself isn`t open source, it`s just a beta version, and the package
> link i
> gave is  the installed package, not the source.
>

> 2006/7/27, zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> i download my java application on the web, and it`s open source.
>> But i can`t upload it with jira, because the running of the jar file
>> depend other files, and the size of all source is above 300M,
>> and at most it can be compressed to 60M.
>>
>> This is the link i download the source
>> http://dlc2.pconline.com.cn/filedown.jsp?dlid=8242&linkid=27642
>>
>> however, the application is developed by a Chinese group, it may
>> bring you
>> some
>> difficulty.

>> > Yes, this is important note. I've also thought about this.

>> don't
>> >

>> > Yes, if its license allows to make this :-).
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Vladimir.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>.
I am afraid that i made a mistake, that the application
itself isn`t open source, it`s just a beta version, and the package link i
gave is  the installed package, not the source.

2006/7/27, zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>:

> i download my java application on the web, and it`s open source.
> But i can`t upload it with jira, because the running of the jar file
> depend other files, and the size of all source is above 300M,
> and at most it can be compressed to 60M.
>
> This is the link i download the source
> http://dlc2.pconline.com.cn/filedown.jsp?dlid=8242&linkid=27642
>
> however, the application is developed by a Chinese group, it may bring you
> some
> difficulty.
>
> 2006/7/27, Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 7/27/06, Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, besides the mbox size, please also note the license issue before
> > > you forward your EIOffice.jar . :-)
> >

> > Yes, this is important note. I've also thought about this.
> >

> > > (Probably you can give a link of the original downloaded site. I don't
> > > know.)
> >

> > Yes, if its license allows to make this :-).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vladimir.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > > xiaofeng

> > > gmail,  maybe

Best Regards,
Qiong,Zou

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zou,

I asked you to clarify what do your files for the H-992 issue mean?
Could you please answer me?

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1C0 day of Apache Harmony Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 09 Aug 2006 11:49:35 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry for my being sooo late. Busy as always. I am tryin try to be faster :)
> >
> > On the 0x1BA day of Apache Harmony ustczz@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I am sorry so late to reply.
> > > en, i use command
> > > EM: compile start:[JET n=1816]
> > > java/util/Hashtable::elements()Ljava/util/Enumeration;
> > > EM: compile start:[JET n=1817] java/lang/EMThreadSupport::shutdown()V
> > > EM: compile done:[JET n=1817: OK] java/lang/EMThreadSupport::shutdown()V
> > > EM: compile done:[JET n=1816: OK]
> > > java/util/Hashtable::elements()Ljava/util/Enumeration;
> > > EM: compile start:[JET n=1818]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::<init>(Ljava/util/Hashtable;Z)V
> > > EM: compile done:[JET n=1818: OK]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::<init>(Ljava/util/Hashtable;Z)V
> > > EM: compile start:[JET n=1819]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::hasMoreElements()Z
> > > EM: compile done:[JET n=1819: OK]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::hasMoreElements()Z
> > > EM: compile start:[JET n=1820]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::nextElement()Ljava/lang/Object;
> > > EM: compile done:[JET n=1820: OK]
> > > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::nextElement()Ljava/lang/Object;
> > >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1821] java/util/zip/ZipFile::close()V
> > >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1821: OK] java/util/zip/ZipFile::close()V
> > >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1822] java/util/Vector::removeAllElements()V
> > >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1822: OK] java/util/Vector::removeAllElements()V
> > >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1823] java/lang/VMExecutionEngine::exit(IZ)V
> > >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1823: OK]
> > > java/lang/VMExecutionEngine::exit(IZ)V
> > >
> > > is the last method to be compiled.
> >
> > Thanks for investigation!
> >
> > Looks like your app hangs just before the VM exit. That's a strange
> > problem I've never seen before. Possibly, it is easy to reduce the app
> > into a quite small piece of code that hangs in the same way. Then I
> > could reproduce it on my machine...
> >
> > Does it look like a happy doing?
> >
> > Otherwise, I see no obvious ways to investigate further :(
> >

> Well, as a last resort, we could try to look at total trace log, not EM only.
>
> Zouqiong,
>
> Could you please try with the following options:
>
> 1) -Xint -Xcategory -Xthread Xtrace:root:int.log
> 2) -Xcategory -Xthread -Xtrace:root:jit.log

I love the options :)
And.. you can put "-Xem opt" and "-Xem jet" here as usual

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
09 Aug 2006 11:49:35 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for my being sooo late. Busy as always. I am tryin try to be faster :)
>
> On the 0x1BA day of Apache Harmony ustczz@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am sorry so late to reply.
> > en, i use command
> > EM: compile start:[JET n=1816]
> > java/util/Hashtable::elements()Ljava/util/Enumeration;
> > EM: compile start:[JET n=1817] java/lang/EMThreadSupport::shutdown()V
> > EM: compile done:[JET n=1817: OK] java/lang/EMThreadSupport::shutdown()V
> > EM: compile done:[JET n=1816: OK]
> > java/util/Hashtable::elements()Ljava/util/Enumeration;
> > EM: compile start:[JET n=1818]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::<init>(Ljava/util/Hashtable;Z)V
> > EM: compile done:[JET n=1818: OK]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::<init>(Ljava/util/Hashtable;Z)V
> > EM: compile start:[JET n=1819]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::hasMoreElements()Z
> > EM: compile done:[JET n=1819: OK]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::hasMoreElements()Z
> > EM: compile start:[JET n=1820]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::nextElement()Ljava/lang/Object;
> > EM: compile done:[JET n=1820: OK]
> > java/util/Hashtable$HashEnumerator::nextElement()Ljava/lang/Object;
> >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1821] java/util/zip/ZipFile::close()V
> >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1821: OK] java/util/zip/ZipFile::close()V
> >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1822] java/util/Vector::removeAllElements()V
> >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1822: OK] java/util/Vector::removeAllElements()V
> >  EM: compile start:[JET n=1823] java/lang/VMExecutionEngine::exit(IZ)V
> >  EM: compile done:[JET n=1823: OK]
> > java/lang/VMExecutionEngine::exit(IZ)V
> >
> > is the last method to be compiled.
>
> Thanks for investigation!
>
> Looks like your app hangs just before the VM exit. That's a strange
> problem I've never seen before. Possibly, it is easy to reduce the app
> into a quite small piece of code that hangs in the same way. Then I
> could reproduce it on my machine...
>
> Does it look like a happy doing?
>
> Otherwise, I see no obvious ways to investigate further :(

Well, as a last resort, we could try to look at total trace log, not EM only.

Zouqiong,

Could you please try with the following options:

1) -Xint -Xcategory -Xthread Xtrace:root:int.log
2) -Xcategory -Xthread -Xtrace:root:jit.log

Resulting files (int.log and jit.log) may be quite massive, just zip
them and attach to JIRA, please.

--
Alexey

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1B4 day of Apache Harmony ustczz@gmail.com wrote:
> I rerun the application with option -Xint
>
> and unlucily, it doesn`t pass,  keep running and nothing comes out.

OK, you mean, the problem persists .. eh..

> The same with other options except with option -Xem opt.

OK, let's try to find out which method is the most unlucky and hangs :)
It is easy to find out which methods were compiled last:

<...>/java -Xem jet -Xtrace:em <your options> 2>methods.compiled.txt

That's the JIT side. You can try other options to identify, what
happens. "java -X" for help on extra VM options.

> with option -Xem opt,   many "SIGSEGV in VM code." are printed.

that's what I get in default mode now :(
GDB does not help, shows segfault in libc with corrupted (?) stack:
(gdb) bt
#9  0x56a00158 in ?? ()
#10 0x4077ef77 in _int_free () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

looks like somebody broke the build :)

You may try to checkout a more stable version, if it does not bother you
much. Then, you can use more tracing capabilities of optimizing JIT:

to dump *all method-entry* events (cool, heh?:) use options:
-Xem opt -Xjit ia32::itrace=on

Hope this helps...

Posted by zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
zouqiong wrote:
> i download my java application on the web, and it`s open source.
> But i can`t upload it with jira, because the running of the jar file
> depend other files, and the size of all source is above 300M,
> and at most it can be compressed to 60M.
>
> This is the link i download the source
> http://dlc2.pconline.com.cn/filedown.jsp?dlid=8242&linkid=27642
>
> however, the application is developed by a Chinese group, it may bring
> you
> some
> difficulty.

There is no need to send the application itself -- it is sufficient to
put the link in the JIRA issue.

There are native Chinese speakers in the Harmony community who will be
able download and test it.

Thanks
Tim

Re: some question about drlvm

Posted by zouqiong <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, zouqiong <us...@gmail.com> wrote:

> en, i create the new issue , the link is :
> and please read my comment for the file.
>
> And i hope this would help.

It would not, unfortunately. Any instructions, please, how I can get your
jar file (*EIOffice.jar*) from these attachments.

Or explain what do these files mean? Friendly advice is to add in future
some attendant comments for the convenience of other stakeholders.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zouqiong,

it's fine almost all problems have been resolved on your side.
Could you please create new Jira issue and attach your jar file here?
This needs us to reproduce your issue on our side if any.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
zouqiong wrote:
> i solve the problem if i used the jdk1.5
>
> platfrom: fc5, gcc-3.4.6, jdk1.5
>
> and i find that the java replaced ij..     :-)
> and i use the new java to compile my application, however new problem
> encounters,
> there is no error information comes out,  it seems that it has stopped to
> compile the
> application, but still running.

Is it spending any CPU cycles?
If it is spending CPU, then it must be some infinite loop.
If it is sleeping, it is most likely some sort of a deadlock.

> so i use gdb to trace it,  and i use bt commond, you can see the stack.

The stack you have provided shows the the starter thread which is waiting
for other threads to complete. This is perfectly normal, and gives no
information on what went wrong.
You may want to see the backtraces from other threads to find out the reason of hang.

Re: some question about drlvm

#0  0x00988402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x0024f48c in pthread_cond_timedwait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from
/lib/libpthread.so.0
#2  0x001d5098 in pthread_cond_timedwait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3  0x00f6df0a in vm_wait_for_single_object (hHandle=140436112,
dwMillisec=2000)
#4  0x00f7f8f8 in wait_until_non_daemon_threads_are_dead ()
    at
/home/ustczz/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/thread/thread_generic.cpp:918
#5  0x00f04207 in Java_java_lang_VMStart_joinAllNonDaemonThreads
#6  0x002b7da0 in ?? ()
#7  0x0113b0f0 in java_vm () from
/home/ustczz/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/deploy/jre/bin/libvmcore.so
#8  0xbfa70bf4 in ?? ()
#9  0x00010009 in ?? ()
#10 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
BTW, if you are also trying to build classlib, you definitely need a 5.0
compiler, as I mentioned, many 5.0 features(generic, enum, etc) have
been used in classlib.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
zouqiong wrote:
> good morning, sir,
> i redownload the harmony from svn, and when i build the drlvm,
> i encounter the following errors:
>

> I use the  jrockit-j2sdk1.4.2_08 that you recommoned in the READMe.txt.
> compiler: gcc-3.4.6
>
> build.java:
>     [echo] ## Building Java classes of 'extra.hyplugin'
> Overriding previous definition of reference to java.classes.pattern
> Overriding previous definition of reference to java.source.pattern
>    [javac] Compiling 7 source files to
> /home/ustczz/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/semis/extra/hyplugin/_other/org.apache.harmony.eclipse.jdt.launching_1.0.0
>
>    [javac] javac: invalid target release: jsr14
Interesting... jsr14 is used as walk around for Java 5 compiler,
currently all Harmony VM (including IBM VME) haven't fully support 5.0
class format, so we need this option to compile the source codes with
5.0 syntax to 1.4 compatible binary code,  it should not be set if 1.4
compiler is used. Seems a bug of build script? Haven't look inside what
actually happened, but maybe you have interest to: 1. either find and
remove the setting about jsr14 and remove it(I'm not sure where it is
for DRLVM, but for classlib, it is in
enhanced/classlib/trunk/make/properties.xml)  2. or try a Java 5
compiler(I prefer this one :)). Good luck!

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I'm worried about what revision you are running here.

Please update to latest version of DRLVM, as we no longer have the java
app name as "ij"

(And also apply the patch suggested by Alexey as well)

geir

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
>From the information you've provided it is hard to deduce the reason of failure.
Could you please apply this diff to drlvm and try it again, then post a result?

Index: vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc/java/lang/ClassLoader.java
--- vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc/java/lang/ClassLoader.java
 (revision 425602)
+++ vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc/java/lang/ClassLoader.java
 (working copy)
@@ -394,7 +394,7 @@
         if (name != null) {
             if (name.startsWith("java.")) {
                 throw new SecurityException(
-                    "It is not allowed to define classes inside the
java.* package");
+                    "It is not allowed to define classes inside the
java.* package: " + name);
             }
             int lastDot = name.lastIndexOf('.');
             packageName = lastDot == -1 ? "" : name.substring(0, lastDot);

--
Alexey

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
issue 980 with simple fix for my problem was created.

thanks, Vladimir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
yes, that would do it :)

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Weird.  I build on both linux and windows (and in a VMM of ubuntu 5 on
> Max OS X) and never have a problem.
>
> Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> > I can't build drlvm on my WinXP with message:
> > [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(20) :
> error
> > C2001: newline in constant
> > [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) :
> error
> > C2015: too many characters in constant
> > [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) :
> error
> > C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'
> > [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) :
> error
> > C2501: 'Type' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
> > [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) :
> error
> > C2001: newline in constant
> >
> > Seems, the define of VERSION_SVN_TAG was splited to 2 string...
> > thanks, Vladimir
>
> What was it replaced with?

 issues 980 and 981 were created to build drlvm on my pc again.
My svn (from CygWin_2.457.22 archive) does not support '--non-interactive'
option for the 'info'  subcommand and string "@svn.revision@" from the file
version_svn_tag_orig.h substituted to 2 strings
"Subcommand 'info' doesn't accept option '--non-interactive'
Type 'svn help info' for usage."
It leads to errors on compilation.

 thanks, Vladimir

geir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> I can't build drlvm on my WinXP with message:
> [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(20) : error
> C2001: newline in constant
> [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) : error
> C2015: too many characters in constant
> [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) : error
> C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'
> [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) : error
> C2501: 'Type' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
> [cc] c:\harmony\drlvm\trunk\vm\vmcore\include\version_svn_tag.h(21) : error
> C2001: newline in constant
>
> Seems, the define of VERSION_SVN_TAG was splited to 2 string...
> thanks, Vladimir

What was it replaced with?

geir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.