Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2012/05/07 09:40:40 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Toward ServiceMix 4.5.0 ?

Hi all,

Now that Camel 2.9.2, CXF 2.5.3 and Karaf 2.2.7 are out, I propose to
make a ServiceMix 4.5.0 release which upgrade to these versions.

WDYT ?

If all are OK, I will update the dependencies, make a test series and
cut off ServiceMix 4.5.0.

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Toward ServiceMix 4.5.0 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Charles,

+1 to spin "again" the ServiceMix 5 discussion ;)

My proposal is more to keep moving forward on ServiceMix and provide an
updated release ;)

Thanks for your quick feedback !
Regards
JB

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yup, I will do that today (it was on my TODO).

Regards
JB

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [PROPOSAL] Toward ServiceMix 4.5.0 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Gert,

+1 (sorry I made a mistake in the versioning)

I take care of that.

Regards
JB

Posted by "Ulhas Bhole (OS)" <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gert,

Sure will be happy to do the build locally to help out in any way I can.

Regards,

Ulhas Bhole

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ulhas,

Posted by "Ulhas Bhole (OS)" <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I would prefer to release ServiceMix 4.4.2 with Camel 2.8.5 and CXF 2.4.6.

Regards
JB

On 05/21/2012 03:07 PM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> I just updated the 4.4.x branch to use Camel 2.8.5 - unfortunately, at the
> moment, we're unable to upgrade to CXF 2.4.7 because the Camel 2.8.5
> features descriptor references CXF 2.4.6.  We now have two options: release
> 4.4.2 with Camel 2.8.5 and CXF 2.4.6 or wait for a new Camel 2.8.x release
> to be out as well and then use Camel 2.8.6/CXF 2.4.7 instead.
>
> Wdyt?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com
>

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Gert Vanthienen
> <ge...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Jean-Baptiste,
>>

>> We already have a 4.4.1 release out since the end of February - up to now,
>> the 4.4.x release have been using Camel 2.8.x and CXF 2.4.x.
>>
>> How about we do this instead?
>> - a 4.4.2 maintenance release to pick up Camel 2.8.5 and CXF 2.4.7
>> - a 4.5.0 release that includes the latest Camel 2.9.x and CXF 2.5.x,
>> together with ActiveMQ 5.5.1
>> - a 4.6.0 release that includes Camel 2.10.x, CXF 2.6.x and ActiveMQ 5.6.0
>>
>> The first one should be very easy to do, since we already have a
>> maintenance branch in the features project so this should only be about
>> updating the dependency versions in the parent/pom.xml and making sure
>> everything works fine.  In parallel, we can also do the 4.5.0 release set
>> from trunk (this requires us to release everything again, so that's a bit
>> more work).  Not sure we want to do a 4.5.0 and 4.6.0, we might also want
>> to consider going straight for Camel 2.10.x and CXF 2.6.x in 4.5.0 as well
>> - wdyt?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> ------------------------
>> FuseSource
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> just to summarise the proposal:
>>>
>>> 1/ release ServiceMix 4.4.1: this is a maintenance release to upgrade to
>>> new Camel 2.9.2, Karaf 2.2.7 and provide some bug fixes. In term of
>>> dependencies version, it means: Karaf 2.2.7, Camel 2.9.2, CXF 2.5.2,
>>> ActiveMQ 5.5.1
>>> 2/ prepare ServiceMix 4.5.0: this release will include Karaf 2.2.x
>>> (probably Karaf 2.2.7), Camel 2.10, CXF 2.6.x, ActiveMQ 5.6
>>>
>>> Is it ok for you all ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

That sounds like a good plan too. Now that we got ourselves on a decent
release schedule again (with 4.4.0, 4.4.1 and an upcoming 4.4.2 in less
than half a year) we just have to make sure we don't get ourselves stuck
waiting eternally for the next best thing again.  But if we can incorporate
the new version of ActiveMQ without delaying 4.5.0 for a long time, we
should definitely do this.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
We are inline.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Claus,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

I think that some users are waiting for a ServiceMix version including
the latest Camel release (so 2.9.2 currently).

Depending of the timeframe, I'm agree that it makes sense to directly
jump to Camel 2.10 in ServiceMix 4.5.0.

I'm working on 4.4.2 right now, we will see where we are next week.

Regards
JB

On 05/10/2012 10:00 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Gert Vanthienen
> <ge...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Jean-Baptiste,
>>

>> We already have a 4.4.1 release out since the end of February - up to now,
>> the 4.4.x release have been using Camel 2.8.x and CXF 2.4.x.
>>
>> How about we do this instead?
>> - a 4.4.2 maintenance release to pick up Camel 2.8.5 and CXF 2.4.7
>> - a 4.5.0 release that includes the latest Camel 2.9.x and CXF 2.5.x,
>> together with ActiveMQ 5.5.1
>> - a 4.6.0 release that includes Camel 2.10.x, CXF 2.6.x and ActiveMQ 5.6.0
>>
>> The first one should be very easy to do, since we already have a
>> maintenance branch in the features project so this should only be about
>> updating the dependency versions in the parent/pom.xml and making sure
>> everything works fine.  In parallel, we can also do the 4.5.0 release set
>> from trunk (this requires us to release everything again, so that's a bit
>> more work).  Not sure we want to do a 4.5.0 and 4.6.0, we might also want
>> to consider going straight for Camel 2.10.x and CXF 2.6.x in 4.5.0 as well
>> - wdyt?
>>

> I dont think its good to cut so many new releases, that just burdens
> the SMX team to maintain that.
> And also confuses the community with that many releases.
>
> I would go for a patch release of the existing 4.4.x with the patch
> version of the AMQ,CXF and Camel that matches.
> And then for SMX 4.5 jump straight to AMQ 5.6, CXF 2.6, and Camel 2.10.
>
> Do not do a SMX release with Camel 2.9, AMQ 5.5.1 etc. That is just
> waste of time.
>
> Just my thoughts.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> ------------------------
>> FuseSource
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> just to summarise the proposal:
>>>
>>> 1/ release ServiceMix 4.4.1: this is a maintenance release to upgrade to
>>> new Camel 2.9.2, Karaf 2.2.7 and provide some bug fixes. In term of
>>> dependencies version, it means: Karaf 2.2.7, Camel 2.9.2, CXF 2.5.2,
>>> ActiveMQ 5.5.1
>>> 2/ prepare ServiceMix 4.5.0: this release will include Karaf 2.2.x
>>> (probably Karaf 2.2.7), Camel 2.10, CXF 2.6.x, ActiveMQ 5.6
>>>
>>> Is it ok for you all ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Baptiste,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Johan Edstrom <je...@savoirtech.com>.
+1.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense Claus.

Regards
JB

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
My idea is to do both aka:

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@kulp.com>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dan@kulp.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Toward ServiceMix 4.5.0 ?

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Awesome! +1

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: [PROPOSAL] Toward ServiceMix 4.5.0 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense. I will start as soon as ActiveMQ 5.6.0 artifacts are
available on Central.

I'm starting the others updates to check if all is OK in the mean time.

Regards
JB

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Of course ActiveMQ 5.6 should be integrated and specifically as it supports
Eclipse Jetty 7.5, WebSocket, ...

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Baptiste,