Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Dave Hitchman <d....@tesco.net> on 2016/11/04 17:34:57 UTC

Question

I can't see how to raise an issue from the website, it says use jira but when I get there I see no 'new issue' or 'raise issue' even though I can see the existing jira tickets and  equally I couldn't see how to add a question to the mailing list... probably just not used to doing whatever it is you think I should have automatically absorbed from the internet or atmosphere or whatever.

The real question though:
If I am using a TOOL whose use is covered by an apache licence to generate code is that generated output required to follow all the rules?

BR
Dave

Re: Question

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

I believe you need to sign up for an account first at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa before you can
create an issue.

--

On your question - it depends on what the tool is doing, so the official
answer (regardless of which open source license it is) is that you should

The primary issue (I believe) is whether or not the generated output
contains any content under the apache license. You and your lawyer will
find yourself discussing what the tool is injecting into the output (vs
what you put in), whether that is covered by copyright (legal opinion) and
whether the tool has any additional information (license addendums, FAQs
etc) to explain what the licensing situation is.

A famous example that details all of this clearly is the Bison parser
generator. It's under the GNU Public License (GPL), and the output is under
GPL too, but said output comes with a very broad exception that allows you
to choose your own license (provided you can obey the conditions it lists).

Apologies for it not being possible to give you a simple yes/no answer here.

Hen