Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Pedro Padron <pp...@w3p.com.br> on 2011/01/11 11:36:42 UTC

Questions about translating rules descriptions

Hi there,

I am currently translating rules to Portuguese and I have a few questions...

Descriptions for rules from plugins should also be enclosed with ifplugin
just like the definitions?
Should I also include translations for rules in 70_*.cf files? (being that a
"magic level")

The translation is still a work in progress so far, but a fair amount of
rules have already been translated. I would be glad to contribute these
translations to SpamAssassin if there is interest.

I also updated the pt_br report text shipped witbecause it included in the
message the name of the company the translator was working for (ZOE).

Here's what has been done so far: https://github.com/w3p/spamassassin-pt-br

Pedro Padron
Tecnologia & Desenvolvimento | W3P Projetos Web
+55 11 7518 6664
+55 11 2609 1989
http://www.w3p.com.br/

Re: Questions about translating rules descriptions

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 01:45 -0200, Pedro Padron wrote:

> > > Descriptions for rules from plugins should also be enclosed with
> > > ifplugin just like the definitions?
> >
> > Looking at the other 30_text_*.cf translations, I'd guess yes.
>
> It looks like it really doesn't matter, because some translations use
> "ifplugin" and others don't. Just as an example: the rules that
> require the Bayes plugin are defined correctly inside an
> ifplugin/endplugin mark, but their translations in the other files are
> not. Since it doesn't seem to be of any harm, can I be lazy and go
> without them?

Oh, OK then -- guess so, the other one. ;)

> In my git repo I'm working with translations of 72_active.cf in a
> different file. This way you can get only the relevant file
> (30_text_pt_br.cf). If we ever decide to include them, I'll merge them
> into one single file. However, I don't think there would be any
> problem including those. Even if some of the translated rules are not
> defined, SpamAssassin doesn't complain.

Ah, this answers most of the previous questions. :)  See, I'm a lazy
bastard, interested in rules, not names. When I'm hacking on rules, a
description is the least of my problems. I just don't get in a situation
with excess descriptions. But that confirms what I believed would be the
case -- no complaints about missing rules.

> > +1 to eventually replace the existing pt_br translation with a clean and
> > more complete one. That means your contribution. :)
>
> Well, I just finished all translations, and here's the end result:
> https://github.com/w3p/spamassassin-pt-br/blob/master/30_text_pt_br.cf
>
> The file is in ISO-8859-1, I believe that's the default for
> SpamAssassin, right?
>
> If everything is ok for the dev team, feel free to put the translation
> in the SVN.

Great, thanks!

Could you open a bug report about this, please?

Re: Questions about translating rules descriptions

Posted by Pedro Padron <pp...@w3p.com.br>.
Hi Karsten!

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 08:36 -0200, Pedro Padron wrote:
> I am currently translating rules to Portuguese and I have a few
> questions...
>
> Descriptions for rules from plugins should also be enclosed with
> ifplugin just like the definitions?

Looking at the other 30_text_*.cf translations, I'd guess yes.

> Should I also include translations for rules in 70_*.cf files? (being
> that a "magic level")

Good question. The rules in 72_active.cf are mostly stable and don't get
dropped frequently. However, I'd start with the named rule-sets, in
particular those rules that are frequently observed in the spam report.

> The translation is still a work in progress so far, but a fair amount
> of rules have already been translated. I would be glad to contribute
> these translations to SpamAssassin if there is interest.
>
> I also updated the pt_br report text shipped witbecause it included in
> the message the name of the company the translator was working for
> (ZOE).

Good catch! Yeah, I wouldn't want that in the report template. Besides,
the existing Brasilien Portuguese doesn't have any rule descriptions
translated, but only the report templates.

+1 to eventually replace the existing pt_br translation with a clean and
more complete one. That means your contribution. :)

Thanks!