Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Raajay <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/07 22:06:18 UTC

Running hive on tez locally

I have been running Hive queries on a single node (no HDFS). I realize that
the queries get compiled as map-reduce jobs and not as TEZ jobs even though
"hive.execution.engine=tez" is set.

Is that expected ? If yes, what is the ideal environment for debugging hive
on tez?

Raajay

Re: Running hive on tez locally

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi

Can you make sure the following configs are set and appropriately pointing to your corresponding local directories?

set hive.user.install.directory=file:///tmp;
set fs.default.name=file:///;
set fs.defaultFS=file:///;
set tez.staging-dir=/tmp;
set tez.ignore.lib.uris=true;
set tez.runtime.optimize.local.fetch=true;
set tez.local.mode=true;
set hive.execution.engine=tez;

Thanks
Prasanth

Posted by Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>.
I have my HADOOP_CLASSPATH set to point to both $TEZ_HOME/* and $TEZ_HOME/lib/*. Also have TEZ_H0ME and TEZ_CONF_DIR set, though I'm not sure if these are required or not.?

________________________________
Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
> How do I point Hive to tez libraries? Is it sufficient to populate
>CLASSPATH environment variables with location of tez libraries ?

The easiest option there is to populate the hive-config.sh with these two
parameters

https://github.com/t3rmin4t0r/tez-autobuild/blob/master/Makefile#L138

Once you do that, the bin/hive will always load the Tez jars correctly.

Cheers,
Gopal

Re: Running hive on tez locally

Posted by Raajay <ra...@gmail.com>.