Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/14 09:10:04 UTC

Release process

Hi,
i've documented the new release process at :
http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html
For comparison, the previous process is at :
http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html

The process can be summarized as:
1) mvn release:prepare
2) mvn release:perform
3) Login to Nexus, 'close' automatically created staging repository
and note its url.
4) Send vote email ... 3 days pass
5) Login to Nexus and promote the release
6) Generate and upload Binary / Source Distributions (currently needs ant)
7) Once files reach all mirrors, update the Downloads Page

Steps 1-5 are really straightforward/automated (meaning that no manual
copying of
files is needed).
The artifacts of step 6 could perhaps also be generated by maven (and thus
be staged as well) but i'm not sure if we can spend time on this right now.

Because of that (and that's the only difference to the previous workflow),
i've moved the Binary / Source Distributions step at the very end,
i.e. after the
vote has passed. Is that a deal-breaker? The alternative would be to move that
step just before step 4.

So, please take a look and comment if something needs more explanation
or changes.

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
i'll go ahead with 5.0 first - unfortunately i was a bit sick during
the weekend so
I had to postpone it but i guess now is the time!

Re: Release process

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
ok, would you mind to release both?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> hmm - and something related... I'm not sure how important it is, but
> according to
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/pmc-gpg-keys.html
> keys should also be found at http://pgp.mit.edu/
>
> Also, the url of that contains PMC which got me thinking and I'm not
> sure if i've read it somewhere, but i have the feeling only PMC can
> stage releases at nexus - i gotta run for a few hours, so, can't quite
> check it out right now :(
>
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:07, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:
> > ok, based on Ulrich feedback and ... parts of myself, i've moved the
> > Binary / Source Distributions step back before the voting step, fixed
> > 1-2 links that
> > were not showing and and updated
> > http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>
> >
> > So, I'd also like to try it on 5.0 myself, are you ok in doing 5.1 ?
> > I'm thinking for later tonight or (at worst) at some time on Saturday...
> >
> > Is there something wrong if we do both at basically the same time?
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:26, Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> No more comments. I suppose we can go ahead with the releases. I would
> like
> >> to try the new release process this weekend.

> <http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html>

> ant)

> thus
> now.

> workflow),
> move

> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Igor Drobiazko
> >> http://tapestry5.de/blog
> >>

> > --
> > Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> > Tapestry / Tacos developer
> > Open Source / JEE Consulting
> >

> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog

Re: Release process

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> oops, it's getting late over here (and i didn't notice). Will do the release
> tomorrow morning

Great Andreas... Just in time for me to upgrade a release scheduled for 30/12 :)

Thanks
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> so, Igor had requested to also go on with the 5.1 release and it looks like
> I want to do it in the next 1-2 hours... so, if there are any
> objections, speak fast!
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 22:56, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:
> > i just had a few words with Brian Fox from the maven team and if you try
> again
> > you should see the options - it turns out any committer can stage
> > releases @ nexus :)
> >
> > (uli, since you were a new committer and their auth system is not 100%
> > automated,
> > he had to enable ... something)
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 22:22, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> >> No, I don't.

> "staging"

> but

> quite

> the
> fixed
> >>>>>>>
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>

> ?

> andreoua@gmail.com>

> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>

> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html>
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html>

> repository

> end,

> > --
> > Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> > Tapestry / Tacos developer
> > Open Source / JEE Consulting
> >

> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
No, I don't.

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Release process

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
No more comments. I suppose we can go ahead with the releases. I would like
to try the new release process this weekend.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i've documented the new release process at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>
> For comparison, the previous process is at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html>
>
> The process can be summarized as:
> 1) mvn release:prepare
> 2) mvn release:perform
> 3) Login to Nexus, 'close' automatically created staging repository
> and note its url.
> 4) Send vote email ... 3 days pass
> 5) Login to Nexus and promote the release
> 6) Generate and upload Binary / Source Distributions (currently needs ant)
> 7) Once files reach all mirrors, update the Downloads Page
>
> Steps 1-5 are really straightforward/automated (meaning that no manual
> copying of
> files is needed).
> The artifacts of step 6 could perhaps also be generated by maven (and thus
> be staged as well) but i'm not sure if we can spend time on this right now.
>
> Because of that (and that's the only difference to the previous workflow),
> i've moved the Binary / Source Distributions step at the very end,
> i.e. after the
> vote has passed. Is that a deal-breaker? The alternative would be to move
> that
> step just before step 4.
>
> So, please take a look and comment if something needs more explanation
> or changes.
>
> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog

Re: Release process

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
btw, wrt to gpg keys (mentioned at
http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/pmc-gpg-keys.html)
if people are planning on doing releases, they should generate and
append their own
public key at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tapestry/tapestry4/trunk/KEYS

A better location for that file would probably not include the tapestry
version in it (i.e. tapestry4), but i'm hesitant in moving the file
because (i'm not sure but)
I think it's monitored by some apache process

Re: Release process

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Never mind. I found it.

--
Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog

Re: Release process

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

can you please explain the steps 3, 5 and 6 in more details or provide a
link to read? Where to login to Nexus? Are you speaking about a local Nexus
installation?

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i've documented the new release process at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html>
> For comparison, the previous process is at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eandyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html>
>
> The process can be summarized as:
> 1) mvn release:prepare
> 2) mvn release:perform
> 3) Login to Nexus, 'close' automatically created staging repository
> and note its url.
> 4) Send vote email ... 3 days pass
> 5) Login to Nexus and promote the release
> 6) Generate and upload Binary / Source Distributions (currently needs ant)
> 7) Once files reach all mirrors, update the Downloads Page
>
> Steps 1-5 are really straightforward/automated (meaning that no manual
> copying of
> files is needed).
> The artifacts of step 6 could perhaps also be generated by maven (and thus
> be staged as well) but i'm not sure if we can spend time on this right now.
>
> Because of that (and that's the only difference to the previous workflow),
> i've moved the Binary / Source Distributions step at the very end,
> i.e. after the
> vote has passed. Is that a deal-breaker? The alternative would be to move
> that
> step just before step 4.
>
> So, please take a look and comment if something needs more explanation
> or changes.
>
> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de/blog

Re: Release process

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

On 14.12.2009 09:10 schrieb Andreas Andreou:
> Hi,
> i've documented the new release process at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist-new.html
> For comparison, the previous process is at :
> http://people.apache.org/~andyhot/tapestry-site/dev/checklist.html
>
> The process can be summarized as:
> 1) mvn release:prepare
> 2) mvn release:perform
> 3) Login to Nexus, 'close' automatically created staging repository
> and note its url.
> 4) Send vote email ... 3 days pass
> 5) Login to Nexus and promote the release
> 6) Generate and upload Binary / Source Distributions (currently needs ant)
> 7) Once files reach all mirrors, update the Downloads Page
>
> Steps 1-5 are really straightforward/automated (meaning that no manual
> copying of
> files is needed).
> The artifacts of step 6 could perhaps also be generated by maven (and thus
> be staged as well) but i'm not sure if we can spend time on this right now.
>
> Because of that (and that's the only difference to the previous workflow),
> i've moved the Binary / Source Distributions step at the very end,
> i.e. after the
> vote has passed. Is that a deal-breaker? The alternative would be to move that
> step just before step 4.

I think we have to vote on the ready-to-release artifacts in order to make sure that they don't
contain any defects. This will require an intermediate step where the binary and source
distributions have to be copied from a temporary location to the dist directory after the vote has
passed.