Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2000/12/11 21:47:41 UTC

Is this a bug?

Neiras Sarien <ne...@home.com> reports

> If I do a multi-line .htaccess file, and don't put an extra linefeed
> after the last line, Apache 500's on me accessing any file in that
> directory. As soon as I add the extra linefeed, Apache happily parses
> the .htaccess file. This is with AllowOverride All on the directory.
>
> If you need more info, give me a shout.

His .htaccess looks like...

<Files index>
ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

<Files system>
ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

he reports it happens in 1.3.14 as well as 2.0 and sent it to me as he
thought it was a BeOS only bug, but he's since confirmed it happens with
every system he tries.

Can someone help him?

david

Re: Is this a bug?

Posted by Yury Faktorovich <yf...@nusphere.com>.
I did xedit on my .htaccess and made sure that there is no \n at the end of the
file. Here is the output from od -c .htaccess
od -c .htaccess
0000000   <   F   i   l   e   s       i   n   d   e   x   >  \n   F   o
0000020   r   c   e   T   y   p   e       a   p   p   l   i   c   a   t
0000040   i   o   n   /   m   s   w   o   r   d  \n   <   /   F   i   l
0000060   e   s   >  \n   <   F   i   l   e   s       s   y   s   t   e
0000100   m   >  \n   F   o   r   c   e   T   y   p   e       a   p   p
0000120   l   i   c   a   t   i   o   n   /   x   -   h   t   t   p   d
0000140   -   p   h   p  \n   <   /   F   i   l   e   s   >

I put msword to make sure that .htaccess is parsed. Everything works. Could you
suggest anything else? Thanks. Yury.

rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Yury Faktorovich wrote:
>
> > I just tried it with "vanila"1.13.14 on RedHat 7 - can't reproduce it.
> > Apache seems to have no problem parsing .htaccess. Could you provide more
> > info, maybe something special with your configuration?
> > Thanks. Yury.
>
> Make sure you have no \r\n at the end of the file.  Some editors add one
> by default, so you may have to do a hexedit to make sure it isn't there.
>
> Ryan
>

> > David Reid wrote:
> >
> > > Neiras Sarien <ne...@home.com> reports

> > > His .htaccess looks like...
> > >
> > > <Files index>
> > > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> > > </Files>
> > >
> > > <Files system>
> > > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> > > </Files>
> > >
> > > he reports it happens in 1.3.14 as well as 2.0 and sent it to me as he
> > > thought it was a BeOS only bug, but he's since confirmed it happens with
> > > every system he tries.
> > >
> > > Can someone help him?
> > >
> > > david

> Ryan Bloom                              rbb@apache.org
> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Is this a bug?

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Yury Faktorovich wrote:

> I just tried it with "vanila"1.13.14 on RedHat 7 - can't reproduce it.
> Apache seems to have no problem parsing .htaccess. Could you provide more
> info, maybe something special with your configuration?
> Thanks. Yury.

Make sure you have no \r\n at the end of the file.  Some editors add one
by default, so you may have to do a hexedit to make sure it isn't there.

Ryan

> David Reid wrote:
>
> > Neiras Sarien <ne...@home.com> reports
> >
> > > If I do a multi-line .htaccess file, and don't put an extra linefeed
> > > after the last line, Apache 500's on me accessing any file in that
> > > directory. As soon as I add the extra linefeed, Apache happily parses
> > > the .htaccess file. This is with AllowOverride All on the directory.
> > >
> > > If you need more info, give me a shout.
> >
> > His .htaccess looks like...
> >
> > <Files index>
> > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> > </Files>
> >
> > <Files system>
> > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> > </Files>
> >
> > he reports it happens in 1.3.14 as well as 2.0 and sent it to me as he
> > thought it was a BeOS only bug, but he's since confirmed it happens with
> > every system he tries.
> >
> > Can someone help him?
> >
> > david

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Is this a bug?

Posted by Yury Faktorovich <yf...@nusphere.com>.

David Reid wrote:

> Neiras Sarien <ne...@home.com> reports
>
> > If I do a multi-line .htaccess file, and don't put an extra linefeed
> > after the last line, Apache 500's on me accessing any file in that
> > directory. As soon as I add the extra linefeed, Apache happily parses
> > the .htaccess file. This is with AllowOverride All on the directory.
> >
> > If you need more info, give me a shout.
>
> His .htaccess looks like...
>
> <Files index>
> ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> </Files>
>
> <Files system>
> ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> </Files>
>
> he reports it happens in 1.3.14 as well as 2.0 and sent it to me as he
> thought it was a BeOS only bug, but he's since confirmed it happens with
> every system he tries.
>
> Can someone help him?
>
> david

Re: Is this a bug?

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
What version of 2.0?  I fixed a bug just like this a few alphas ago.

Ryan

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, David Reid wrote:

> Neiras Sarien <ne...@home.com> reports
>
> > If I do a multi-line .htaccess file, and don't put an extra linefeed
> > after the last line, Apache 500's on me accessing any file in that
> > directory. As soon as I add the extra linefeed, Apache happily parses
> > the .htaccess file. This is with AllowOverride All on the directory.
> >
> > If you need more info, give me a shout.
>

> His .htaccess looks like...
>
> <Files index>
> ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> </Files>
>
> <Files system>
> ForceType application/x-httpd-php
> </Files>
>
> he reports it happens in 1.3.14 as well as 2.0 and sent it to me as he
> thought it was a BeOS only bug, but he's since confirmed it happens with
> every system he tries.
>
> Can someone help him?
>
> david

406 29th St.