Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chellasamy G <ch...@zohocorp.com> on 2017/07/28 14:04:08 UTC

Disadvantages of having many cores

Hi,

I am working on a log management tool and considering to use solr to index/search the logs.

I have few doubts about how to organize or create the cores.

The tool  should process 200 million events per day with each event containing 40 to 50 fields. Currently I have planned to create a core per day pushing all the data to the day's core. This may lead to the creation of many cores. Is this a good design? If not please suggest a good design.(Also, if multiple cores are used, will it slowdown the solr process' uptime)

Thanks,

Satyan

Re: Disadvantages of having many cores

Posted by David Hastings <ha...@gmail.com>.
You're better off just using one core.  Perhaps think about pre-processing
the logs to "summarize" them into less "documents"
I do this and in my situation i summarize things like, user-hits-item, for
example.  so i find all the times a certain user had hits on a certain item
in one day and put that into one document.  I have about 4/5 years of http
logs and it sits at around 265 million documents and 17gb.  so hardly an
issue for performance

Posted by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Core per day is not too bad.  I assume you'll want to keep 7 days or maybe
30 or 60 or 180 days worth of logs.  That won't result in too many cores,
given adequate hardware.

Otis